Thread: Fiber Laser - Nickel Plating

Fiber Laser - Nickel Plating

It's been awhile since I've been online. I have an aerospace job -with Nickel Plated Aluminum. The plating is only .0004 thick and I am not allowed to engrave through it. I am assuming settings like Chrome will work? I have to turn this job around by Tuesday afternoon so that's where I'm starting, unless I get some better advice.

I really don't want to have to use Cermark.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I think your only option is to use a high KHz on it. Anything in the 20,000 range is going to burn through it. I'd be up in the 80,000 or above to try and discolor it, rather than actually engraving it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I went with my gut and used the settings for Chrome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

That's through the plating isn't it? Looks like it in the photo. If you can feel it, it's through the plating. That's why I said a high KHz and it would turn it black but not break the surface.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I'm playing with high khz settings on some practice material but haven't gotten gutsy enough to take on a job like that yet. What settings did you use?
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

Steve, No, it's what I call a "medical grade" marking - meaning there is no textual feel or ablation of the surface.

Matt, This would vary for each Fiber laser. I used the same settings I use for Chrome surfaces. The result was a light gray/white polished marking.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 11-25-2015 at 9:50 AM.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC