Thread: Taking the plunge

Taking the plunge

So I will be leaving soon to hit up my closest powermatic dealer, I believe I am gonna make the buy today. Here's my question, besides a plug, what else is necessary to purchase to make this lathe get going. I already have all the tools but what about faceplates and all.
    Also I currently spin a delta 46-715, which has been a good machine for me, but what can I expect to be different between the 2. Does the 3520b use the 1x8 thread for a chuck and all..any quick advice would be great. Thanks.

Here is the manual for the 3520B. Specs included. Accessories listed.
    http://content.powermatic.com/assets...001_man_EN.pdf

The spindle is 1 1/4. -8thds. So you need an adapter or two. Also it only comes with one 14" tool rest and requires tool rests that have a long shank. Robust makes them but you need to specify long ones. I got a faceplate with mine and a nice live center for the tailstock.

bought mine the day after thanks giving... what a sweet machine!!!

Grizzly sells an adapter that converts the 1-1/4" spindle down to 1". http://www.grizzly.com/products/T10807
    It only costs $7 whereas most others cost around 20. Of course you have to pay shipping.
    I bought one of these and found the quality to be good. No measurable runout. And the threads were nicely cut (much better than on the spindle of my Grizzly G0766 lathe, whose spindle is rough and miscut/undersize).

You better look at that adapter again it's a backward adapter Female 1" and male 1 1/4". It will not fit a 3520B.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Giacomo View Post
    You better look at that adapter again it's a backward adapter Female 1" and male 1 1/4". It will not fit a 3520B.
    Tom, the ad is misleading or wrong. I have a Grizzly G0766 that has a 1-1/4 inch spindle. I bought the adapter T10807 (I double checked that part number a minute ago). When I screw it onto my 1-1/4" lathe spindle, I have a 1" x 8 male thread sticking out. I screw my 1 x 8 chuck onto that end.

I actually bought two of these in September so I know that they work the way that I said. If you stare at the picture, you'll see that the female opening on the adapter looks bigger than the threaded male end. Because they were only $7 apiece and because the picture seemed to make more sense than their written description, I took a chance and it worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Tom, the ad is misleading or wrong. I have a Grizzly G0766 that has a 1-1/4 inch spindle. I bought the adapter T10807 (I double checked that part number a minute ago). When I screw it onto my 1-1/4" lathe spindle, I have a 1" x 8 male thread sticking out. I screw my 1 x 8 chuck onto that end.

I actually bought two of these in September so I know that they work the way that I said. If you stare at the picture, you'll see that the female opening on the adapter looks bigger than the threaded male end. Because they were only $7 apiece and because the picture seemed to make more sense than their written description, I took a chance and it worked perfectly.
    Yep... Adapts 1" female (your chuck) to 1 1/4" male (your spindle). Mine is well made and runs true. It does not have a set screw for reverse turning but neither does my chuck. The adapter can unscrew with a heavy bowl when stopping the lathe. I stop the lathe with the speed control knob. I would recommend this adapter.

Clint.

I'll second the Robust tool rests. They are great, and the stock 14" rest can be unwieldy with certain projects. I bought a 4" and 9".

I also bought the remote switch. It's nice to be able to stop the lathe with your leg sometimes if both hands are occupied.
    Where did I put that?

I also bought the remote switch. It's nice to be able to stop the lathe with your leg sometimes if both hands are occupied.
    Where did I put that?

Welcome to the Mustard family. You might want to check out the Mustard Monster Site if you haven't. It covers a lot of items that might be of interest and save you some time There are a lot of accessories that you will likely be adding over time when you start to do large work. A good light should be one of the first. A remote switch can easily be added from easily available parts and is described on Mustard site.

If your chuck(s) use threaded inserts buy the correct insert rather than a spindle adapter.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).