Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw Choices

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I'm running a Centauro 600 (about 24") on a VFD, and like it a lot. I'm overclocking the speed 10% with the VFD for a current job, but will dial that back to normal for regular resawing. The motor never gets warm, and the whole thing is as smooth as can be.
    Tom: Your machine must be in the 4.5hp range (like the 18" Centauro saw I mentioned) what VFD are you using?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quan Vang UPDATED 5.5KW 7.6HP 25A 220V VFD VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER off ebay for $268 I keep a fan blowing on the heat sink-don't know if it matters or not, but I had one sitting right there.

I'm awfully tempted to go get this one, but don't really need it now, and beyond busy. https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/5348178124.html
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-20-2015 at 12:07 PM.

That Northfield is a real production machine. I do like the Carter wheels and direct drive. I suspect that would require a rigger to move.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Dually with gooseneck flatbed to move it on, and I can back into the shop that I'd use it in, and have a chain hoist......sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into it.

I'm running a Centauro 600 (about 24") on a VFD, and like it a lot. I'm overclocking the speed 10% with the VFD for a current job, but will dial that back to normal for regular resawing. The motor never gets warm, and the whole thing is as smooth as can be.
    This is my Centauro 24" with VFD, maybe twins. I pulled this one out of a barn, it was a rust bucket and I spent some time on it. It cost me $800 for the saw, and $400 for a new Laguna Fence and new Laguna ceramic guides. I used it today for about 4 hours, what a pleasure to use such a great machine. Here is a link to my restoration thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nimax)-Bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Newman View Post
    Thanks for the input. I've been doing my research and I've learned a lot in the last few days. I'm a novice but I've been buying machines with the goal of eventually having a full shop. As for bandsaw use at first it would just be general use but I do plan to use the it for resawing and eventually I want to get into turning as well. I do have 220v power. My budget is keeping me in the 14" price range but from everything I've seen so far I don't think I'll need anything bigger. Right now I've got it narrowed down to three saws, the Jet jwbs-14dxpro, the Laguna 14-12, and the Rikon 10-325. Any thoughts?
    Here is a Laguna 16" that you could probably negotiate into your price range. Not sure if this is close enough, but they are out there.

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/5371328583.html

bandsawontrucksmall.jpgJohn, Yours is a lot prettier than mine. I drug mine in the back of the pickup with a rope come-a-long, took it home, put a new lower guide on it, new tires, the VFD, a new blade, and put it to work.

8. I would look at the Powermatic 14 if there is anyway you could come up with $1,200?

bandsawontrucksmall.jpgJohn, Yours is a lot prettier than mine. I drug mine in the back of the pickup with a rope come-a-long, took it home, put a new lower guide on it, new tires, the VFD, a new blade, and put it to work.
    This is what mine looked line when I drug it home:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by john lawson; 12-22-2015 at 10:52 PM.