Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turning off computers- do you, or not?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Thanks for the info. When I put my PC into sleep mode it goes dead quiet.
    Larry, I wasn't worried about the pennies, I was curious about what the difference was between the two states.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I am not knowledgeable about the current level of Windows. In the early days when laptops first came out I stayed on top of it. In those early days, certain files got closed and others got cleaned up only when Windows got shut down. Failure to shut systems down periodically could really effect the performance of a system.

Professionally, I had to deal with UPS's. I don't have a UPS, have no desire to have a UPS as I consider it a minor inconvenience to power up and wait for a system to boot up. Having dealt with equipment failures for 40 years often due to "dirty" power, I choose to shut my computers down each day. I also unplug everything in my shop when I leave on an extended vacation or trip as I have dealt with the results of damage caused by lightning striking the ground and coming into a radar via power cables buried in the ground. (The lightning striking the nearby ground was witnessed by the runway crash crew sitting in their "crash" truck some 20 yards away.)

It's subjective. There is no right or wrong. Do what tickles your fancy.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My file server running Windows Server 2003 had close to 23,000 hours of run time before I had to restart it. It has a big UPS hooked up to it, so it even stayed up when we lost power for 2 days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Thanks for the info. When I put my PC into sleep mode it goes dead quiet.
    Larry, I wasn't worried about the pennies, I was curious about what the difference was between the two states.

I think Mike H. has it right.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I never shut mine off. It stays up and running 24x7x365.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I turn my 'puter on only when I use it. Since I received the Samsung tablet my desktop system isn't turned on most days. Leaving it on for only a few hours of use a week seems a waste.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    ... I don't have a UPS, have no desire to have a UPS as I consider it a minor inconvenience to power up and wait for a system to boot up.
    A UPS has little to do with powering computer up or down. It only keeps the computer from losing power at an inappropriate time where one might lose something unsaved.

We have more little "blips" of power outage than complete power downs. I guess tree limbs and squirrels short the wires, but don't blow the breakers. A UPS saves a lot of electronics in those kind of power problems.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

One reason to have a laptop. Built in battery backup