Thread: Tool rest adjustment

Tool rest adjustment

I've got an 'old' Delta Homecraft lathe that I used a fair bit a few years ago for some pens and tops...just learning; after our most recent move I left it disassembled until last week. I have some time to 'play' around with it and try some other things but really dislike the tool rest mount, it bolts to the ways with a hex head 5/8" bolt, I have seen other, more modern, tool rests with a quick release lever to facilitate moving the tool rest up and down the bed (x) and in/out (y)...any options?
    I considered just attaching (jb weld?) a lever on the hex head

Thanks,
    Russel

For jigs that I've made for the lathe I use one of those plastic threaded knobs. http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-com...knobs/=10oilnn

What about buying a cheap 5/8" socket, drill a 9/32" hole in it, slide a 1/4"X4" rod in, peen the ends so it doesn't come out and leave in place on the nut all the time? No permanent damage done to the nut.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

I wonder if JB weld would hold up in the long run (and a fixed lever might get in the way at times.)

How about something like this, but with the right thread you need. These are available either as nuts or as bolts. I don't know about this one but most of them let you pull up the lever to turn it to a new position if needed.
    Tapped Adjustable Clamping Lever
    http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/62267141

I do like the idea of the spare socket with a lever attached. I'd probably weld a bar to the top.

JKJ

Thanks for the ideas...I think Joe may have nailed it with the removable socket idea, I've got a few things to pick up at Harbor freight anyway.

I have an old craftsman 9" and have the same issue. The tightening bolt works but I always have to have a dedicated wrench within arms reach.

One potential issue of adding sockets and knobs is that every additional inch of height over the bed decreases the bowl diameter than you can turn by 2". So on my old 9", the banjo and tightening nut took up about an inch, so if I had a piece where I needed to position the banjo UNDER the part (like a deeper bowl and vase), I was limited to turning 7" things. So, if I added 1" for a socket, I would be limited to a 5" piece.

Give some thought to using a ratcheting wrench with the switch to change from clock-wise to counter-clockwise operation. They are about the same height as your tightening bolt. So, it should not noticeably decrease your turning diameter capability. If you want it to stay put, affix it with some silicon rubber to the tightening bolt. That way if you ever want to remove it, it will be very simple.

Excellent idea Brice! Thanks from a displaced San Diego native
    R