Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of Gents

Ron,

Here are my 2 cents:
    - agree with earlier comments about the handle, adding that to me the thickest part of the handle should be the very end. Just feels more comfortable to me.
    - I wonder about the strength of the back where it has been reduced to fit into the handle. Maybe the back is wide enough to make it ok.

One other comment about choices: I prefer a dovetail saw that is a little coarser, 12 to 10 tpi. Harder to start but faster, faster to sharpen, too.

Thank you for the pics and the good work.

Alfred

Hi Alfred. The spine/ tangs are a solid 3/8" tall by 1/4" thick and extend 2" into the handle. The ferrules are 1/16th" thick between the beads, 360 brass. I currently have one I made for myself that is 12" x 2.5" under spine x 0.020" plate. Filed 14ppi x 10* rake and 15* fleam. Sort of a Gents carcass saw with a combination filing. The plates are pinned at the toe to keep the plate always in tension during the cut. So time will tell.
    I do know someone that has you beat He bought a half back saw at 9ppi to cut dovetails with. So he said anyway.