Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Green Wood Sealer?

While I never used anchor seal I did a search and wound on on amazon and found the following description
    "Anchorseal2 is a hybrid sealer that contains renewable, natural ingredients so there is less petroleum based material used in production. The result is a greener, more economical product that drips less, sticks better, has improved stability and, best yet, better than the original Anchorseal. Now, new and improved Anchorseal 2 is the choice for prevention of end grain checking."
    So the formula is changed and like most things I have found when its green , while it may be better for the environment it usually does not work as well as the old products

Yep, I agree with Ed. So I went ahead and bought 5 gallons of the original formula direct from the manufacturer-- with free shipping east of the Mississippi.

UC coatings lists the 5 gal. Anchor Seal classic for $92, free shipping. I didn't check out to make sure it's not too good to be true, but at that price maybe I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Pierce View Post
    UC coatings lists the 5 gal. Anchor Seal classic for $92, free shipping. I didn't check out to make sure it's not too good to be true, but at that price maybe I should.
    That is exactly what I just did-- $19/ gallon that way.

The Formula change that created Anchorseal II was not an "improvement" per se. Rather, with the extreme price increases in petroleum a few years ago US coatings came up with a new formula that used less petroleum derivatives. Their objective was to reduce the price fluctuations - not to "improve" the formula.

I buy Anchorseal by the drum, and had an extensive conversation with them about the change a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
    That is exactly what I just did-- $19/ gallon that way.
    And, if anyone is close to North Suburban Chicago and wants to buy a gallon or two, let me know.

How the heck do you get free shipping? They want $52 to ship to IL.
    Sign up for their email deals and watch the ads they send you. Free shipping doesn't come very often, but you can't pass it up on something heavy like a 5 gal bucket. I bought mine even though I still had a gallon or two left. I just put it downstairs until I needed it.

For what it is worth. I was at a demonstration with Glenn Lucas who roughs out thousands of bowls a year. He also has a kiln. That said he stated that he used the cheapest white glue he could find diluted 50% with water. He did not like the anchor seal type products as they made the floor slick due to the wax. I myself always used paint as I had a lot of it around. Now I use anchorseal 1 as a result of a club buy.

I have not tried it, but I always wondered if diluted wood glue would work. I often squeeze wood glue into cracks before drying and it holds them from spreading. Wonder if the surface adhesion across the entire bowl might prevent cracks. Anyone with experience? Wood glue can be had for maybe 16 bucks per gallon. Diluted 50% is $8/gal. Hard to beat. Ditto the comment about Anchor Seal making the floor slippery. Re-turning the waxed bowls turns the floor into a skating rink...

I'm doing lots of roughing. I'll try the wood glue and report back.

Rather than rumors or speculation, just go to http://uccoatings.com/products/anchorseal/ and look at the SDS for both products. Original Anchorseal uses methanol based antifreeze and Anchorseal 2 uses propylene glycol based antifreeze.The exact percentages of wax, soap, and antifreeze is given for both formulations.
    Bill

How the heck do you get free shipping? They want $52 to ship to IL.
    Sign up for their email newsletter. They don't offer free shipping very often so you have to jump on it when they do. I still had a couple gallons left of Anchorseal 2 when I bought a bucket from Baileys. I just put it downstairs where it's cool until I needed it.

Ran out of anchorseal one time and used some latex paint overlayed with a single smooth layer of clear plastic wrap (grocery store stuff) which was put on while the paint was still wet. Once the paint was dry, the plastic stuck smoothly to the endgrain. Seemed to work just fine for stopping end checking, and was a good way to get rid of some old house paint.