Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need new 23 gauge nailer, What brand/model ?

Blog Entries
    I have a Spotnail and I've been completely satisfied with it. It has a nice solid feel to it.

I don't use it that much.

I have a bunch of Bostitch guns and originally bought their 1-3/16" pinner. It's a great value for the money. No problems at all during several years of use.

Some folks have complained it doesn't fully set pins but a slight sanding of the nose will fix that problem. Like I said, mine has been trouble free.
    Wait; I don't mean to hijack this thread but that's the reason why I hate my Bostich so much. I could never figure out what was the point in using these guns if the pins weren't seated below the surface very far. There was a very obvious mark where any nail was even from a distance. So you just sand a bit of the nose off? Not much I'm assuming.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-28-2016 at 7:56 PM.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cramer View Post
    Wait; I don't mean to hijack this thread but that's the reason why I hate my Bostich so much. I could never figure out what was the point in using these guns if the pins weren't seated below the surface very far. There was a very obvious mark where any nail was even from a distance. So you just sand a bit of the nose off? Not much I'm assuming.
    Yes, that's what I read in a finish carpentry forum. I think it was on JLConline. Just sand the nose slightly and test fire. Repeat until the pins set just below the surface. A number of guys said this worked for them. My gun didn't have this problem so I never tried it. It may be discussed in Amazon reviews as well.

That must be a newer Bostitch than mine. I don't remember how many years I've owned it, but it buries pins just fine, and I don't even remember it getting jambed, or mis-firing once.

I'll go against the grain (ha!) and suggest the Harbor Freight model. I would rarely buy anything more complicated than a hammer from them, but for ~$20, it is an EXCELLENT value. It has a fit/finish/feel that is way above what I expected - if you had handed it to me and said, "This is a $250 Grex", I'd have believed it.

I learned that the HF pins are junk, though, and now buy Grex pins.

I bought a Harbor Freight 5/8" to 1" pinner ($15). I bought it 10 years ago to experiment with and see if I wanted to buy a good one. I have used it continuously since then and it simply will not die. I tried dropping it on the floor. I tried not oiling the piston. I shot pins into heart hickory. Nothing has worked so far. The thing is clumsy and a little dangerous to use (no safety) but it just keeps working. I am afraid I am going to have to just run over it so I can justify buying a new one. When that happens, I will buy a Grex.

I also have the Bostich and am happy with it.

Grex is what I have...not the most expensive one as I don't "need" 2" needles flying about. 1/2" through 1 3/8" is more than enough for me. I use this pinner FREQUENTLY. I do have an older Accuset/Senco pinner, but it only goes to 3/4" and I only use it when having two sizes loaded is convenience. The ergonometric feel of the Grex pinner are more comfortable, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guy's , looks like its going to be a Grex

Blog Entries
    Have a couple Hitachi's at work and a Senco at home. All work fine...

grex or omer have all three love them all but omer is better then grex imo
    http://www.amazon.com/Omer-B6-50-2-H...=omer+23+gauge
    http://www.amazon.com/B6-35-Gauge-Pi...=omer+23+gauge

I have an Air Locker pinner with traditional style safety. It works well, feeds reliably and doesn't jam. It shoots 30 mm pins (1 3/16") and I wish it shot 35 mm ( 1 3/8"). The nose safety can get in the way when I want to get real close to a wall or something. A skinny nose and double triggers would work. Harbor Freight's small nailers & staplers seem to be good values though I don't know that they'd last in a professional environment.

Not only does Grex make a fine tool, their customer service is excellent. More than once over the years I've had to call them for O-rings. He stayed on the phone with me until he was convinced I was comfortable taking the pinner apart and installing the rings. Then, with the rings, he sent me an expanded drawing with notes, circled the items he sent and told me to call him when I was ready to make the repair. I appreciate that kind of dedicated service.

Another vote for the Bostich. I have had mine for several years and use it frequently. Never an issue.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Austin View Post
    Thanks guy's , looks like its going to be a Grex
    You won't regret it!