Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completed Project ***Pics***

Completed Project ***Pics***

Just finished this blanket chest. Wood is spanish cedar finished with spar varnish. Panels are angled 11 degrees inward(reverse hopper).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chadd

Hi Chadd, Really nice job. I like the sort of exotic look to it. The ring handles, etc. Is it a sort of spanish design? I like it. Pete
    Pete Lamberty

Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by chaddhamilton
    Just finished this blanket chest. Wood is spanish cedar finished with spar varnish. Panels are angled 11 degrees inward(reverse hopper).
    Chadd,

that is one beautiful chest. How did you handle the dovetails w/that angle? Excuse the ignorance but were they done by hand?

Delano

Now, that's really pretty! It's amazing how that little angle gives a subtle effect to the piece that's very attractive. Nice job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the compliments. The design is something I came up with after browsing the Moser website and the book "Treasure Chests".

We're expecting our first child and we're going with a nautical theme of sorts for his/her room. The rings, scavanged from an old hammock, were an added touch that I thought would make this chest look a bit more "salty".

Delano, the dovetails were cut by hand follwing instructions I found and purchased on the internet: http://www.handcutdovetails.com/angled-dovetails.asp They were not terribly difficult, but they did take some planning and alot of concentration.

Next is a chest of drawers following the same lines as the chest, and a bed frame. I'll post pics of the whole set when I finish them.
    Chadd

Thumbs up Wow!!

Very nice piece Chadd! Great design and execution. The spanish cedar makes a beautiful chest. It's a shame that spanish cedar usually only shows up in humidors.

Bob

Very nice job. I am also impressed by the look of the spanish ceder. That's one wood I never thought of using to complete a project.

Yeah, Bob. Spanish Cedar looks alot like mahogany and it's about $4 a bf cheaper where I buy my lumber....and did I mention the smell?? I guess the only downside is that it is a little soft and can be hard to plane without a little tearout.
    Chadd

Mike Schwing Guest
    Wow Chad, that is beautiful! I aspire to your skill level!

Very Very Nice

You did a fine job on the chest - the wood, the angle, the finish & especially those dovetails. You ought to be proud!

Congrats on the coming baby also
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

I've used spanish cedar a lot for boat building. It is readily available in South LA because of the amount of boat building and repair. I'd never thought of it for fine furniture. I'll have to rethink. Great looking piece.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Chest

Chadd,
    Great looking chest. I went through your part of the country this past Saturday. We were in Charleston at the market in the morning, ate lunch at Hyman's and then rode over to Isle of Palms to get our feet wet.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

13. Quote Originally Posted by chaddhamilton
    Delano, the dovetails were cut by hand follwing instructions I found and purchased on the internet: http://www.handcutdovetails.com/angled-dovetails.asp They were not terribly difficult, but they did take some planning and alot of concentration.

Next is a chest of drawers following the same lines as the chest, and a bed frame. I'll post pics of the whole set when I finish them.
    Thanks, Chadd. Did you purchase the whole book of lessons or just the one on angled DT's? Looks like a good product. Did you spend a lot on tools? I've been wanting to try my hand at DT's but not sure what's involved.

Thanks again,

Delano

Very, Very nice work Chadd. I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. Everything about it is OUTSTANDING! Thanks a bunch for sharing the pictures with us!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Chadd, Two thumbs up! Your chest is gorgeous. I love the 11˚ “reverse hopper”, and the wood / color is awesome
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino