Thread: Dust bin liner help

Dust bin liner help

I hope someone here can help me. I am setting up a new Oneida Cyclone shortly and would like to use bag liners inside my 55 gal drum. I remember reading something about running a copper tube ( or similar) from the cyclone to the dust bin to equalize pressure so that the bag liner doesn't get sucked up. Despite searching multiple ways, I can't seem to relocate that info. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I prefer to try doing it this way rather than using some kind sleeve or struts inside the plastic bag.

Thanks!

Dave

Huh, doesnt mention anything about that in their instructions (LINK). Give them a call tomorrow. They are very helpful.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I used a sleeve with my old cyclone and found it was a lot more trouble than it was worth.

My Grizzly has a plastic hose to suck the bag down. It also has a spacer to keep the bag away from the hose and distribute the suction around the bottom. It works well; but would be tough to make a single one yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Huh, doesnt mention anything about that in their instructions (LINK). Give them a call tomorrow. They are very helpful.
    That link is very strange, indeed the bag being sucked up to the cyclone body has nothing to do with air leak you could have a 100% air tight bin all around and still it happens (and it should and can be explained). In their picture they have a "bag hold down" also, why you need that then if the issue is to make the system air tight!!

David, what you describe is one of the methods that are also used in some commercial units. You need to equalize the pressure between the bag and the bin to be the same as the pressure inside the bag (i.e. inside the cyclone). Running a very small hose from the body of the cyclone to the body of your bin (you'd need to make a hole in both to connect the hose and you want that connection to be sealled). You'd also want a spacer as Wade describes to keep the bag away from the the hose.

I personally have taken a thick galvanized sheet and made a cylinder by just bending it and added two handles out of rope. I slide it into the bag to keep it down and slide it out when emptying. Pretty simple.

Thanks everybody. I figure that, in the long run, making the tube setup to equalize pressure will be less work than pulling a plastic or metal sleeve out of the can liner each time I empty the can. The Oneida "system" is to use a bag liner and they don't know about(or don't want to talk about) another way.
    Mrreza- Somewhere online I found a description, details and pictures of how to do exactly what you describe and now I can't find them. I sure wish I had bookmarked them.

I had an epiphany last night! I have been wanting to try the vacuum in the bin to hold the bag down for some time. Main sticking point was the need to tap into the dust collector flange just before the impeller. I had a concern about sealing it as the flange is round, and what if something goes terribly wrong.
    I remembered I have a couple of small shop vacs in storage. I pulled out the smallest, a 1.5 hp unit. Cut a hole in the barrel and stuck the 1 1/2" nozzle through it. The nozzle tapers, so I was able to get a pretty good fit. Stuck a brush end on it, an upholstery one I think, and substituted the foam filter that comes with shop vacs for wet work for the "brillo" pad. To compensate for causing too much strain on the motor once the air was sucked out, I also included a wand that has one of those rings that cover a hole so you can adjust suction levels. Plugged it into the remote that activates my actuator for the 2HP DC, and hit the switch. So far, it is working great, and no more wrestling with bag retainers of any kind. Whole thing took me about 30 minutes to put together.
    I am very pleased with my upgrade.
    Mike

My Oneida with the 55 gal drum uses a plastic sheet that is in the shape of a cylinder. You place that inside a 55 gal trash bag (I find that Lowes has the correct size for them). That prevents it from being sucked into the cyclone.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.