Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Green wood = rusty bed

After 50 years of duck hunting and sailing around saltwater and fresh I can assure you that WD40 is totally useless for rust proofing. Google up some companies that specialize in rust control. There are several good ones. The marine industries have rust problems that make ours look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    After 50 years of duck hunting and sailing around saltwater and fresh I can assure you that WD40 is totally useless for rust proofing. Google up some companies that specialize in rust control. There are several good ones. The marine industries have rust problems that make ours look silly.

Robert is right that WD40 does not prevent rust but it works well with a scotchbrite type pad for cleaning up surface rust. Sometimes I apply paste wax afterwards but I don't sweat it. Unless your bed is stainless , you will get rust where I live unless maybe if your lucky and your shop is heated. If it's surface rust it cleans up quickly enough , just don't let it get farther than that.
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 03-09-2016 at 7:25 AM.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Bachtel View Post
    American Beauty will solve that problem, Robust has Stainless Steel Bed, I love it.

That was my solution

But Johnson's paste wax is what I use elsewhere. I would also cover your ways with a towel... that should take the brunt of the wetness, and combined with the wax, you shouldn't see any further rust.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I use any color of Scotchbrite that I have handy (except for white) with Mineral Spirits to clean up rust after coring. I think Mineral Spirits works faster and better than WD40 to remove surface rust. If I do get rust starting to form during coring that interferes with the banjo sliding, I will spray WD40 on the ways and slide the toolrest over it a few times - but don't wipe up the slurry.

I just cored some Silver Maple yesterday, and the ways will rust before I finish for the day. I've tried wax, WD40, and numerous commercial spray products to prevent rust, and in my opinion they are all equally ineffective. I used to try and lay a towel or drop cloth underneath the blank, but that's kind of a pain. It doesn't stay in place, the banjo pinches it when re-positioning, or I spent more time worrying about wet shavings that slipped past the edge of the towel onto the ways. In the end I still had to clean rust spots on the ways, so now I just consider it part of my clean up routine at the end of the day.

I use minwax paste wood finish in what ever shade I have laying around it is oil based and works well enough (it was suggested in the 17 inch grizzly band saw manual) As a matter of fact I use it on all my cast iron power tools beds now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    That was my solution

But Johnson's paste wax is what I use elsewhere. I would also cover your ways with a towel... that should take the brunt of the wetness, and combined with the wax, you shouldn't see any further rust.
    The Shopsmith always recommends using Johnson's Paste Wax on the exposed metal ways and table, so that's what I've been doing on the G0766. I use 0000 steel wool to clean with WD-40, and the wipe off and paste wax to preserve the clean. It's worked so far.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

T-9 then JPW.

Blog Entries
    I use a pice of cardboard or two . 10/30 motor oil on the ways .

Not sure how I feel about cardboard, but I feel compelled to point out that laying a towel or rag over the ways is probably not the safest thing to do... As Capn Eddie says, NEVER take a towel or rag to the lathe (at least when it's running).

Fluid Film is the best I've used by far. You can get the spray at Lowes, but I use the brush applicator can. Fluid Film 8 oz. Brush Can

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Always wanted to get some Fluid Film. I think I read somewhere it is lanolin based and many companies that have fleets of vehicles periodically undercoat their vehicles as a rust preventive from road salt and de-icer. Don't think I would use it on my lathe though, wouldn't it prevent things from sliding?

Hayes, it actually helps the tool rest to slide easily. I just wipe off well when finished for the day.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome