Thread: Rikon Grinder Dust Port Problem

Rikon Grinder Dust Port Problem

I bought one of the new 1 HP Rikon grinders and am having trouble mounting it with the Oneway Wolverine Grinding Jig. Per the Oneway instructions, you are supposed to leave 6.25" - 6.5" between the bottom of the jig platform base and the center of the wheel. Using these tolerances, the wheel cover on the grinder will not fit if you want to use the dust port. To use the dust port, you have to leave at least 7" - 7.25" distance between the jig platform base and the center of the wheel. If I remove the dust port, everything fits according to plan. Any ideas? Thanks.

Steve, from a non "purist" point of view but more as a practical one - - I have found that if I set the foot further back, and advance the tool further forward in the jig that I can achieve the same tip angle. There would be a small difference in the wings though, but perhaps not as much as you would think. The most critical thing is that it is repeatable, so the you don't have to remove a lot of metal.

I built my own fixed Ellsworth-like $2 grinding jig but it isn't adjustable to the extent that the Oneway is. But I am placing it roughly 7" back from the FACE of the wheel and 4 inches below the centerline. I noted in your description that you are trying to place it ~6.5" back from the centerline of the wheel. I am not very familiar with the wolverine jig, but I'm wondering if maybe you either didn't describe what you are actually doing, or that you are using the wrong reference point? If you are measuring from the wheel centerline, your profile would vary quite a bit if you were using a 6 or 7 inch wheel and also would change as your wheel wears. Does this make sense, or am I mistaken (happens) ?

I removed the dust port on mine. They are only good if you have a specialized vacuum that is made for collecting hot metal sparks.

robo hippy