Quote Originally Posted by alice shockley View Post
Do you mean the variation in the wood? I thought that was the whole idea of natural hickory. That's why we want a clear coating instead of paint.
We put in a kitchen full of custom hickory cabinets about a dozen years ago. We really like the look with the variation of light/dark in the wood. We specified this look and even had them rebuild a few panels that were to "even." Besides the cabinets we added a bar, shelves, and large pantry.

I did the design and installation and an 80 year old guy down the hill built and finished them. We had him apply a light stain for a slightly warmer tone - if I remember correctly it was Minwax Ipswitch Pine.

We chose a satin finish which I much prefer over glossy. I think they used spray lacquer for the finish but that takes a special place, equipment, and experience. I think you will be happy with the poly. It is really a very simple finish to apply and almost impossible to mess up!

BTW, for edging the plywood shelves, they cut and fastened 1/2" thick strips of solid hickory, my preferred way to cover plywood edges. Sometimes iron-on edging doesn't apply smoothly or loosens with time. It wouldn't be hard to get some hickory strips cut to fit the shelves, assuming there is a little clearance for them behind the doors which is the usual method of construction. Solid strips can be glued on and held in place until the glue dries with clamps, weights, or a pin or finish nailer.

I found these old photos of the installation in progress. (Wall cabinets, shelves, and pantry are not shown in these pictures.) Things were a bit tricky since this is a timber frame house. My Lovely Bride of 46 years is still happy with the results, the most important thing!

P3191150_es.jpg P3191153_es.jpg

Just before the crowbar, planning in progress:

old_kitchen_PC041074_es.jpg

JKJ