Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A further thought about the drill press: where do you keep the chuck key?

1. I've got a magnet that's attached to the side of my DP. When I'm done with the key, I (usually) put it back on the magnet. One better idea is to attach the key to a small retractable reel that's attached to the DP. Or, tie the key to the DP with a string and just let it hang.

BTW, I don't have a picture of where I put the key in a hole in the cover, but I just got a picture of a friend's drill press - looks like he does the same thing:

drill_press_key_striker.jpg

I came up with this method after getting annoyed with the key on a cord which always got in my way, and with putting it in a drawer under a benchtop drill press - too much trouble and I still had to hunt for it in the drawer.

BTW, for the milling machine and lathe where the chuck is mounted then removed each time, I just put the key handle in the chuck jaws. I don't like that method for the drill press since I often have a bit in the chuck for an extended time.

I know that some people have gone to keyless chucks for the drill press.

JKJ

Mine is tied to the DP with heavy string. Same string for 20 years.

4. I have a strong magnet that I stick it to right on my drill press
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Delta drill press's table clamps around the column as most do. There is a space just the right size between the bolt and column to stick the chuck key. That's worked for about 20 years.

A rare-earth magnet is my solution to holding many small tools where I can get them easily: allen wrenches and small open end wrenches for the bandsaw, short splitter for the Shark Gaurd on the tablesaw, and chuck key for the drill press. In the case of the chuck key, I made a small wooden handle for it, drilled a hole and epoxied the handle end in. Then I drilled a shallow indentation in the wood and inlaid a round rare earth magnet with epoxy. That way I can stick the chuck key anywhere on the head of the drill press with having to hit exactly where the magnet is every time.

Whats a key

My drill press has a mount already installed, I always put it back so I never lose it. The whole key is, no matter what solution you choose, you're the one responsible for using it every single time.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a fan of tying the key to the machine unless there is some way for it to break away. You have to account for the case where the key is in the chuck and the machine is turned on. Mine is a self ejecting key but the ejector pin can get stuck.

Why in the world would anyone turn on a drill press with the key in the chuck though?

I use the keyless chuck works really good and no key to snag or lose

+1 for a small chain. Never lost mine. Never even thought to lose it!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I have a table similar to this one from Rockler, I just put it on there. 98% of the time.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

1946 W/T radial it sits on the left fr corner of the table.'49 W/T 20",there is a highly developed tooling cabinet hanging exactly where we prefer,dedicated to this machine.That key sits right on it's spot.

Rockler has a retractable key holder that attaches to the drill press with a magnet and holds the key. You never lose the key because you never put it down "somewhere" and you don't have to remember to put it on a magnet or into a clamp.
    Last edited by Ellen Benkin; 03-27-2016 at 6:56 PM.