Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A "problem" with LV dovetail saw ??

Modern saws aren't tensioned in the traditional sense. The steel is used right off of the roll. I taught a class last year in which the students all had new LV saws. The three that I tried I found to be a bit hard to start and labored in the cut, especially for these beginners. That said, the saw is still in a class by itself for value. They certainly could be tuned to cut differently. As regards the poster's saw, I would recommend returning it unaltered if he expects a full credit. Taking advice from someone sight-unseen is risky, and LV should not be expected to make good a boogered-up saw. Knowing them, they might swap it out in any case.

That's BUGGERED UP. boogered up would be a snotty saw!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    That's BUGGERED UP.

That, too!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I have that saw and find that you need to 'help' the saw a tiny bit. Not too much pressure because you will get the results you describe but try adding the weight of your arm into the cut. Once I got used to it, its been pretty awesome (but I know what you're talking about).
    I saw (and felt) the same, until I refiled with more aggressive rake.

Thanks for all your help!!

I see 3 choices .... Send it back for a refund, ask for an exchange or re-file.

I'm going to take ownership of the saw and re-file it (i'll have to do that sooner or later anyway), first a bit more aggressive and if that doesn't help i'll relax the rake a bit. Either way i'll re-file the first 1 1/2" of teeth at a very relaxed angle, like most of my other saws, for easier starting. I've really grown to like that feature.

And for those that suggested it could be my sawing technique....... STOP PEEKING!
    Seriously, I'm getting better all the time but still flounder about often and at first took a long hard look at what I was doing, figuring that all my other saws I had filed and now that I had a "Professionally" filed saw I might need to re-learn myself.

Anyway, thanks again!!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    I'm going to take ownership of the saw and re-file it (i'll have to do that sooner or later anyway), first a bit more aggressive....
    If you are having the sort of difficulty as you described I don't see how being more aggressive with the sharpening will help you. It would seem more likely that a less aggressive rake would be the ticket.

Situations like this always beg the question, "Is it me, or the tool?".

It seems, for me at least, more often than not, its me, not the tool.

I have this saw and have not experienced this problem but that's not to say there was an error in the sharpening.

I think you're on the right track, but personally I would hesitate to change anything about the set or sharpening.

Because I've been shopping around for Dovetail Saws, and I'm not entirely clear on this: Is the Lee Valley saw the Veritas? Or is it a Gent's saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Hey All

I recently bought the LV 14tpi dovetail saw and I'm not sure it's performing the way it should ...

Brian
    Unless they make a 14 TPI gents saw (none that I know of) I assume the OP is talking about a Veritas, molded spine saw.

I've got this saw and have not had the same experience. I still need to find the touch to get it started sometimes, but mine at least cuts well even with light pressure on the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    Because I've been shopping around for Dovetail Saws, and I'm not entirely clear on this: Is the Lee Valley saw the Veritas? Or is it a Gent's saw?
    The Gent's saws are also Veritas.

Joe hit the nail on the head - if it's a 14 tpi "LV dovetail saw" then it's this one.

You guys are correct, the saw i bought was not the Gents saw rather the "standard" style saw
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work