Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pen turning finish / CA glue

Again, thanks to everyone for their reaponse. I ordered this afternoon. Im gonna go with blo and gf woodturners polish. Simple enough for my son and should produce good results. I may add a drop of ca to the blo if i don't get the desired result. I will have to do the ca myself. Heck, I'll probably end up making more pens then him. It seems to be as addictive as everyone suggests.

I would suggest you join the IAP International Association of Pen Turners. penturners.org/ Just add the www. It is dedicated to pen turning and there are many skilled and talented members and they are like here willing to share their wealth of knowledge. They also do group buys from time to time and you can get some significant savings on supplies and kits.

I have used nitro laquer many times as a pen finish. It dries fast and is very inexpensive, a quart can will probably finish several hundred pens. I saw a YouTube video where the person used a spray can of laquer to finish several pens at a time loading them on a small dowel.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cenicola View Post
    ...It seems to be as addictive as everyone suggests.
    And you haven't even started spindles and bowls... Welcome to the vortex!

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

The best product for your current situation is called Pens Plus by Doctors Woodshop. Woodcraft now carries it. It's also sold under the same name by Ron Brown at peach tree.

I and many others believe that it is quite a bit better than the other friction finishes on the market.

And it is easy to apply. Highly recommended.

Now it will not give you the deep gloss of ca, and as you've seen that's an art all its own.

Wood turners finish is a quality product but more involved still than pens plus and I don't see much advantage to it for the added steps - longer dry times, polishing after etc. mine just sits on the shelf.

I do use ca for most of my higher end pens, but pens plus is my go to for many other pens. If you decide to try it at some point I have some additional tips, but it would be a great approach for your son as well as far as ease.

In my opinion, things like blo or wax alone are pretty inadequate as a pen finish unless you want it really dull looking.

Not quite sure why you are using BLO. If you are going that route, why not switch to a Danish oil??? It has blo and also a polyurethane in it and will add some shine to the finish. Also will add some protection. Makes for a nice feel to the wood. Good luck in your venture into pen turning
    John T.

As you are learning there are many many directions to go in finishing. Each person develops their own "favorite". You want something durable on a pen because it will be subjected to the oils in ones hands plus being placed in pockets etc. Some finishes just don't "wear" well in this sort of use. CA is one of the best and it takes a little practice to get the process down but the results are exceptional. It will make some woods really "pop" by making the grain really pronounced and eye catching. To get good results you truly need the micromesh pads that will go up through 12000. Then you polish it on a buffing wheel for the last step. You can get by without the buffing for a while but not the micromesh. If you haven't looked there already go to the IAP (International Association of Penturners) website that I mentioned earlier. You can see so many combinations of material, finishes, and about every conceivable pen kit. While I have done a fair number of pens I still have so much to learn. That's a great place to see the endless possibilities.

Sure are a lot of options, just like everything else in woodworking. I experimented with adding a drop of ca to blo and I liked the finish. Wont get a true sense until I get the sanding supplies I ordered. Im hoping the the GF finish is pretty simple, but if not ill try the pens plus next. I also thought about the spray laquer, probably third option. I did pick up a blank to turn my first mallet, so into the vortex I go!