Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laminating layers of plywood together - how to avoid warping

I have made lots that way. I use baltic birch, laminate with West System, no issues. The one I am working on right now will be featured in West System Newsletter if I remember to take pictures along the way.

Do your friend an extra favor, and edge it with solid wood. Not only will the wood provide a bit of anti-warp, but it will certainly look better and be much more durable. Kitchen tables take a lot of abuse. You could probably edge the entire table with a two sticks of face frame material.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I used solvent-based contact cement to laminate several layers of plywood together for my router table and then used Titebond to edge it with purpleheart ten years ago. It is still going strong.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Yarish View Post
    Yes, the plan was to cut one to size, the other oversize, then flush trim upon drying. It'll have to go in a bag though, as I lack sufficient cauls, clamps and/or heavy objects.
    I would locate some heavy objects if I were you. Gallon jugs of water can do fine. Using a bag will give you some challenges in keeping the material in a fixed flat position. Of course it depends on how flat we are talking about.

Option 5 with needed blocking for leg support.

Quote Originally Posted by John Blazy View Post
    "how would you spread it so as to mitigate any high points....other than clamping the snot out of it"

PL PUR is lower viscosity than most construction adhesives, and its long open time allows it to flow a bit. Since it is moisture cure, and does not skin over like liquid nails, it will bite as good as titebond, with a fair degree of soak-in, and with a few weights overnight, I have cut through panels and saw about 1/64" of gap. I run lines of the adhesive about 2" - 4" apart when full sheet laminating. Wayy plenty strong for this application. What strength do you really need? If you are edge banding the 1-1/2" thick panel with veneer or solid wood, what stresses are on the innerlayer? four globs of PL 1" in DIA across a 3' x 4' panel are literally plenty if edge gluing wood tying in both layers.
    Have you got a pic of the label of this adhesive? In Canada, we often don't have the same products, or product labels, as you have in the US. It would steer my eyes and my search in the right direction.