Thread: DeWalt 18V Adapter Adapter Kit

DeWalt 18V Adapter Adapter Kit

I have only two battery-operated tools (and a flashlight) from DeWalt and I'm a DIYer, so they see only occasional use. The two are 18V drill/driver and a 1/4" impact driver. These were a lot of help building my new shop, but I'll be using my compact pair of Makita tools for shop work. I have a 5- year old 10.8V Makita set and the original Li-ion batteries are still working fine. Should they go out, I'll definitely replace them and keep using the tools.

My question to the community: Since DeWalt sells an adapter and an adapter kit that allows use of 18V tools with the newer 20V max Li-ion batteries, I'd love some feedback from any and all who may have purchased the adapter and or kit. The kit is sold for $150 as DCA1820 adapter, a charger, and two 1.3 Ahr batts. whereas the adapter is sold separately for around $55. If my research is correct, the adapter allows for the use of compact batteries only with perhaps the largest being only 2 Ahr. To buy the 2.0Ahr batteries separate from the adapter. A new charger is required to charge the Li-ion batteries so buying separately costs closer to $180.

My orginal Ni-Cd batteries from DeWalt only lasted about 2.5 years whereas the replacements I currently use are still working fine after 2 years. They are large and heavy. BUT, 1.3 Ahr batteries are for short duration.
    ANYONE OUT THERE who bought the adapter/kit and wants to share their experience? Happy? Regret? How much bulk is added by having the adapter between the drill and the battery?
    Thank you all!

My employer purchased a set to use with my fairly new drill and impact. The battery life and power seem to be slightly better than the standard 18v batteries. The battery and adapter weigh less. The adapter sits on a slight angle so the tool is not as stable when sitting upright. The adapter is rather difficult to remove to swap from one tool to the other. The battery gauge is a nice gadget and the batteries charge faster.

Cut your losses and sell the tools.
    I bought 18V DeWalt because they (DeWalt) advertised that their tools would work with Li-Ion when it became available.
    At the time, all they said was you needed to buy the batteries and a new charger.

Lowes sells a 20V Li-Ion DeWalt drill for $99.
    It's the exact same 20V version of the 18V drill I have now & comes with two batteries and a charger.

Why buy the adapter kit (adapter, two batteries and charger) for $149 when you can get a drill for $99?

Sorry -- I know this doesn't answer your question exactly, but,,,I needed to vent about this.
    IMHO - DeWalt put one over on us.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 06-03-2016 at 7:28 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    I don't understand DeWalts Marketing plan. Recently my daugther wanted a sawsall for some work we were doing at her house. Lowes sells a Dewalt 18 volt reciprocating saw for $99, but it doesn't include a battery. To get a battery it will cost you $68, but it doesn't come with a charger. The charger will cost you $94. So you can walk out of the store with a working tool for $261. HOWEVER, if you look around you can buy an 18 volt kit with a cordless drill, an impact drill, a flashlight and a sawsall with two batteries and a charger for $299. Oh, yeah, you also get a canvas carry bag for all the tools for that price. How does that make any sense?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,
    The bare tools are marketed for those that are already vested in the lineup and don't need more batteries & a charger. For a first time purchase, a kit is the better investment.

Ed

Yea Id sell the tools I had and buy new ones if I wanted to switch battery systems. In fact I am in the middle of doing that right now going from DeWalts 18V LiIon to their 20V LiIon line up. Found some good deals and its not going to cost me much to upgrade. I dont have many cordless tools and I like the lighter/smaller 20V ones.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Cut your losses and sell the tools.
    I bought 18V DeWalt because they (DeWalt) advertised that their tools would work with Li-Ion when it became available.
    At the time, all they said was you needed to buy the batteries and a new charger.

Lowes sells a 20V Li-Ion DeWalt drill for $99.
    It's the exact same 20V version of the 18V drill I have now & comes with two batteries and a charger.

Why buy the adapter kit (adapter, two batteries and charger) for $149 when you can get a drill for $99?

Sorry -- I know this doesn't answer your question exactly, but,,,I needed to vent about this.
    IMHO - DeWalt put one over on us.
    I agree - buy new 20V tools. You only have two tools to buy. Don't waste your money on the conversion kit.

And get the tools with a charger and batteries. Bare tools are only good for people who already have other tools in the line - which means they have batteries and one or more chargers.

I have more than two DeWalt tools and I converted over by buying all new tools. I got a few nice features with the new tools, such as tool-less blade change with my reciprocating saw.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Keep your eyes open or set deal alerts on slickdeals.net. Its over now, but I just jumped on a few a these to upgrade my drill and resell the rest: LINK. But deals like this happen sometimes and are worth watching out for.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I suggest that you buy batteries and chargers from on line dealers rather than De Walt because the performance is as good or better and the price is lower. I just bought two 5.25 saws from EBAY because De Walt doesn't make them anymore. Saves me bunches of money!

I would say get the newer / lighter drills, but for the power hogs like the band saw, grinder, and circular saw, the adapter will set you back $45, but allow you to keep the tools that have not had significant upgrades. I got a couple adapters to try, the springs require the strength of a gorilla to remove from the tools, so I just plan to get a couple more and leave them in. Switching to the Li batteries will provide the flexibility to use a small and light battery for agility, or a heavy high capacity battery for bigger work. The 2.0Ah battery doesn't last long in the grinder, but the 5.0Ah battery goes a long way. The choices of varying capacity/size makes the upgrade worth it.