Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: converting part of the garage into an office

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Unlikely that 18 years ago a vapor barrier would have been put under a garage floor. Typically they just pour the slab over whatever happens to be there without doing any smoothing even. In your progress picture, is the non PT wood off the floor and just nailed or screwed to the pieces of PT? Here in the Northwest, that construction would not fly.
    I would have used all PT for the floor system. I don't think it would have cost much more.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

As a former General Contractor, this is how it should be done. If it even has one, the vapor barrier under the slab ALWAYS has holes so using a second one is not only perfectly fine, but I would not build without using one. You absolutely need to use PT lumber against the concrete. While you don't need to, I would place pieces of rigid foam between the sleepers. Roll out a continuous vapor barrier between the sleepers and the plywood. Use T&G Ply for the subfloor, add a piece of Luan on top if you are going to use tile of vinyl.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Unlikely that 18 years ago a vapor barrier would have been put under a garage floor. Typically they just pour the slab over whatever happens to be there without doing any smoothing even. In your progress picture, is the non PT wood off the floor and just nailed or screwed to the pieces of PT? Here in the Northwest, that construction would not fly.

Yes the non PT is off the floor. Here in Arkansas we have mild winters and VERY hot summers.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 06-06-2016 at 4:25 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Yes the non PT is off the floor. Here in Arkansas we have mild winters and VERY hot summers.
    Well, it's too late now. The floor is down.
    No vapor barrier, but at least he used PT against the concrete. I am really not too worried about it. The concrete has never sweated or been wet in the past 18 years. Our winters are pretty mild here, I think I can count on one hand the number of times it has gotten below zero since we moved here 30 years ago. We didn't get any snow this year. Most years we might get 2 or 3 snows that are more than a dusting.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 06-06-2016 at 4:57 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.