Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best screwdrivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ryall View Post
    Wiha or Klein. I have/use both. The Wiha are a little more ergonomically friendly, the Klein less expensive but tougher built.
    The 'soft cushioned grip' on the Wiha's seems like something that might degrade to 'stickiness' over a decade or two. Anyone have the Wiha's for a long time? Have my share of bad experiences with 'rubberized' surfaces becoming a mess over time.
    Mark McFarlane

I don't like cushion grip screwdrivers or anything else for that matter. Screwdrivers are an expendable as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    +1
    These are sweet
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    The 'soft cushioned grip' on the Wiha's seems like something that might degrade to 'stickiness' over a decade or two. Anyone have the Wiha's for a long time? Have my share of bad experiences with 'rubberized' surfaces becoming a mess over time.
    I have some Klein's that are almost 30 years old, they have gotten a little harder over the years, definitely not soft or sticky.

Blog Entries
    Check out the Wera screwdrivers at Amazon. I bought the phillips. The handle looks silly, but I find it to be comfortable and I can put incredible force on the screw head. The bit just does not cam out. I will probably buy one or two more. I rate it as the best screwdriver that I've ever had.

I've had a set for almost a decade. No issues.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Wiha makes many things in Germany, but according to Amazon these are made in China:

Part Number 30290
    Item Weight 1.9 pounds
    Product Dimensions 11.2 x 6.8 x 3.4 inches
    Origin China
    Item model number 30290
    Style 10 Pieces
    Item Package Quantity 1
    Number Of Pieces 10

One of the machinist boards covered the made in China information a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Check out the Wera screwdrivers at Amazon. I bought the phillips. The handle looks silly, but I find it to be comfortable and I can put incredible force on the screw head. The bit just does not cam out. I will probably buy one or two more. I rate it as the best screwdriver that I've ever had.

+1

I got a few sets of Wera's about 2 years ago and like them a lot.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I buy either Klein or Wiha screwdrivers.................Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    +1

I got a few sets of Wera's about 2 years ago and like them a lot.
    +Another

I bought the starter set from lee valley (link on page 1) and have been filling out my collection one at a time as needed ever since. I've been very pleased with the tips as well as the grip.

I have some SnapOn's, some Wera's, some Klien's, some Wiha's, and gunsmith sets for various things. Those are all nice, and too nice to use for some things.

Go buy a set, or several, of the Black with White stripe set that Home Depot has on sale now for $9.88. They're surprisingly decent screwdrivers. Get the little hook and pick set while you're there.

My ten year old Wiha Insulated screwdrivers are fine. The one that was lost and replaced with a new one is virtually the same. Old ones and new are both made in Germany BTW.

About half of my 25-40 year old Snap On screwdrivers have literally crumbled into plastic fragments. Clearly different batches of plastic used as they are either perfectly fine or crumbling so badly that I can pull them apart with a fingernail.

I love the Grace gunsmithing screwdrivers.

One thing to consider as I read threw the posts is a lot of people stating they have had said brand for a lot of years now, but unfortunately over the years most brands change their quality.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    One thing to consider as I read threw the posts is a lot of people stating they have had said brand for a lot of years now, but unfortunately over the years most brands change their quality.
    I can speak only for Kleins because I use (and misuse) them every day professionally but the ones made today are equal to the ones I have had for 25 years. In daily hard use they last me a year or so, my home set on the other hand will last indefinitely.