Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Flattening a white oak board

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Steve thank you for your courage to open yourself up to criticism. And any of the others such as Kees for starting this conversation and the others for their videos and comments. There is a lot of good info in this thread. We all know we could quarterback the Super Bowl winning team, from a recliner in the living room. Only a few are willing to take the lumps by putting themselves on display. It is all fun, isn't it!
    Jim
    Thanks Jim! I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Mea culpa - I skimmed, and must have gotten unlucky with the stopping points I chose. Sorry about that!
    Oh, no worries. I would've skimmed it too. As I said, who wants to watch a half hour of Jack planing? (Not me)

I WANT to watch it!!!! GET planing!!!! Let me get a cool,tall drink first.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Haha! "You get to work, I'll supervise! Where's my beer...."

LOL George (and Glen), now I have to tell a story.
    I worked in a machine shop and we had to tap a bunch of 2" holes in 2"-thick steel plate. The plates were about 5' x 5', and we didn't have any machines that could handle the work. So, one of the guys built a fixture that held the tap straight, and clamped it to the plate. They attached about a 5' cheater bar, and raised the plate up to waist height. Then, I walked around and around in circles in the hot San Diego sun, slowly tapping the holes. Talk about using your legs! After a while, all the guys came out with their coffee and Cokes to jeer and shout "encouragement." You guys remind me of them! 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Thanks Stewie, I missed this earlier. Yes, Sellers really does a good job of explaining things. His methods seem very efficient. I think he is a great resource. Loved his remark about his edge planing using his jack plane "glides like a swan on a lake". That's a great description
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 06-20-2016 at 10:30 PM.

Pat; I have read a lot of posts recently questioning Paul Sellers choice of a #4 steel plane to do most of the work load; here's a valid reason why; the weight of a #4 Stanley Plane is 3 3/4lbs ; the weight of a Stanley #5 Jack Plane is a pound heavier at 4 3/4lbs. Re the video; dealing with inherent cup and twist along its length and width; 43min to flatten & thickness the 2 primary faces; and joint the 2 edges; is damn good going at any age; let alone someone at 66yrs of age.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 06-21-2016 at 12:23 AM.

While I do follow Paul's work, sometimes I use my own ways...
    IMAG0167.jpg
    I happen to have a #5 set up with an 8" radius iron.....does a nice job...

There is one thing I don't unserstand about that video. Why does he clamp the board in the most unconvenient way on his bench? He has to reach over waaaay too far on many instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    There is one thing I don't unserstand about that video. Why does he clamp the board in the most unconvenient way on his bench? He has to reach over waaaay too far on many instances.
    Probably for the best video angle

Pat, I think you nailed it. PS seems very attuned to the viewer's perspective.

Steve,after all,I spent 40 years as a SUPERVISOR. Now my wife supervises ME, except when she has to ask me for help making jewelry models, making punch and die sets, fixing her punch press,etc..

Blog Entries
    George, I'm 31 and my wife already supervises me....there is no escape from the watchful eye of management!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Steve,

I can confirm this one!

Saved us several times, when one board seemed likely to be undersized.

Best wishes,
    David

Steve,after all,I spent 40 years as a SUPERVISOR. Now my wife supervises ME, except when she has to ask me for help making jewelry models, making punch and die sets, fixing her punch press,etc..
    Some supervisor! You care more about FINGERS than PRODUCT!!