Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decisions decisions. 2 utility knives

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    When the Milwaukee is closed there looks a slot, midway on the handle, where the blade is exposed. What is that? Anybody? Not saying it's unsafe just need to know.

cutting string

Folding utility knives are an awesome replacement for a good pocket knife if you use your knife a lot every day for stuff like opening boxes. Just put in a new blade and you are good to go! When I did computer consulting years ago I always carried the best utility knife I could find for open boxes, cutting cables, cutting tie wraps, making a hole in drywall etc. and I wanted a thin portable knife with replaceable blades always in my pocket.

Now days I just carry a nice pocket knife for the occasional times I need it. I prefer the big fat handle utility knives for doing actual utility knife work... like removing a rooms worth of carpet or something. The fat handles are much easier to use than the slim folding utility knives... but I would want to carry a fat handled knife with me every day. Fat handled utility knives and slim folding utility knives are really two different beasts with two different but related purposes.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 06-30-2016 at 2:39 PM.

I like the Starrett "S011 Hidden Edge" knife. Squeeze handle like pliers to move blade out for cut, release and blade retracts, thumbwheel to adjust blade projection, spare blade storage. Starrett blades are good.

Blog Entries
    This is my favorite. I sheath the blade in a ruby red eraser.

Been using the Irwin now for 4 days. It's pretty easy to get use to because it's very similar to the knife I wore for years. I really haven't used the screwdriver for real, just playing around. I'm sure it'll come in handy when I need it.

I could really go either way with the Milwaukee or the Irwin. Just as long as I have one on my person when I'm conscious.

The way the Milwaukee opens is a dream, so easy, one handed, no issues. The Irwin feels familiar.

About a year or two ago (I forget) Home Depot had their Husky brand folding knives packaged 3/$9.99 as a Father's Day special. After trying the first three, I went back for three more and I now keep one or more in each of the areas that I use them the most (garage, kitchen, my shop).

Excellent knife; exceptional value and having extras is great when I can't find one in its usual place.

Home Depot has since raised there prices significantly.

Im going to try one of the Lenox retractable ones, but I have been pretty happy with the Irwin Blue Blades retractable one Ive had for years now.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!