Thread: Wiring a 2 wire timer

Wiring a 2 wire timer

I want to wire a 2 wire timer. The instructions are crap .. The idea is that a shop vac will be on a timer that is rated for 15 amps. 115V ..

Do I simply interrupt the hot wire with the timer, have the neutral go past it .. And run the ground to the box the timer is in ? (no ground wire on the timer ) ..

If the timer has only two terminals one is the line (power in) and the other is the load (power out). Just wire the timer as you would a light switch, interrupting (controlling) the power to the shop vac receptacle.

If this doesn't make sense, it might be time to get an electrician.

But I'm curious, what application benefits from a shop vac on a timer?

JKJ

Its for a miter saw. and the Shop vac is in another room.. I don't hear it .. and I've given up on me remembering to flick the switch and turn it off. I could do a relay, but I really just want to keep going right now.. I have this timer, just gonna wire it like a light as you say ..

Thanks

A shop-vac in another room and you want to control it you say? Why not just get an RF AC switch remote and put the remote next to the saw? LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Instead of a timer, I would get a current sensing switch that would turn on the DC when the saw is started.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Instead of a timer, I would get a current sensing switch that would turn on the DC when the saw is started.
    An even better idea! I have a couple of these that I use and love em! LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I don't appear to be reliable enough to turn it off .. So a switch is not the ticket ..

The shop Vac I'm using is an older big one. loud .. if I run it on the same circuit as the miter saw, it blows the breaker on harder cuts.

Use a cord and a relay (110V coil) at shop vac. Plug cord into sensor and have relay control vac power. KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I don't appear to be reliable enough to turn it off .. So a switch is not the ticket ..
    What I do: wire in a switch with a pilot light. I have one on a light switch in the shop the controls a light in the attic.

I have one on my the controller to my dust collector electronics to enable the DC in another room. I turn the DC itself on and off with an inexpensive wireless remote switch, ordered from Amazon.

electrical_shop_s_arrow.jpg

JKJ

John that is very cool ..

I love stuff like that .. Its so inventive ..

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    John Heisz has an article on his website about how to make one yourself if you have some electrical skills: http://www.ibuildit.ca/other%20proje...-switch-1.html
    ~Garth

You were correct on how to wire it, ground and all. However, I like John's idea and you can use a wire with a ground included.