Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to turning, what accessories do I need.

Blog Entries
    welcome ,I use a 3/8 bowl gouge and drill the most .

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    I would stay with the tools you have now until you wear them down. You will probably find that half will get very little use; replace with better as your sharpening skills improve. I just can't see buying another "set" even at an improved quality.
    Both of the gouges Bill referenced are very good. Starting out you may also look at Hurricane for individual bowl gouges.

Knowing what causes problems is a big step in correcting them. Here are links to videos by Richard Raffan and Brenden Stemp on problems with the skew.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvF5f1phhY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMIwqFDMIhA

excellent videos, nice close in demonstration shots, thanks.

Alex get a good bowl gouge (skip the set). The V is what you can grind into a fingernail grind, you can put long wings on it. If you get a Thompson or Schweitzer I would start with the grind it comes with as they are a good all around grind. The U shape is what you make into a bottom feeder. Clubs are worth the trip, three of the clubs I belong to are two hours or more away and a fourth is 9 hours away . You may meet a mentor who is closer than the club itself. Also there is the AAW and while it is not a cheap date you get 6 magazines a year and access to all of the AAW's past magazines. Take a look at More Woodturning an online magazine published 12 times a year that is very well priced.