Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: New hand tool Mfg about to open.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    They may have come up with a holdfast that fills a void...I would hold my judgment, even though I am not in the market for any more holdfasts.
    Very good Simon, hope I'm not the only one that noticed this.

For the record, I bought a tin of wax from The Anarchist's Daughter. Very nice smell.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Has anyone seen these since they were released? Requiring a 1" hole versus a 3/4" is a deal breaker for me. It's strange since both his workbench books extol the virtues of using round 3/4" holes everywhere since there are so many add-ons and jigs that work with them. I was waiting to see them, but ordered the Gramercy's after seeing the size and price.

The Gramercy's are the best deal in town hands down. Some reported problems that I've never come across with three different bench set-ups of different bench thicknesses. None of the woodworkers I know who use Gramercy's experience any problem with them.

All my bench accessories are based on 3/4" dia. holes and I see no advantages of switching to 1" dia. holes even when I build my next bench. To say that 1" dia. holes are better because historically that was the way to do it is pure advertising material.

The first two tools -- 1" dia. holdfasts and fancy dividers -- released by Crucible add little value to the woodworking tool segment. If they were produced and marketed by some other less known makers other than one that is associated with Chris Schwarz, the maker could expect big troubles with their sales.

Simon

My gramercys don't hold very well, but I don't have a very thick bench. If I had the money, I would buy one of the Crucible holdfasts without hesitation. As it is, I depend on my veritas screw down hold down as a result. And it's a bit of a pain.

some day, when my hands aren't bugging me too much, I'm going to dimple my Gramercy with a punch, and see if it helps.
    Paul

Its an interesting strategy by Schwartz to manufacture 1" holdfasts. If his goal was to generate a needs based market, he is off to a bad start imo. Most existing workbenches out there are deigned for 3/4" holdfasts. I cant imagine many willing to plug all those existing holes in order to enlarge them out to 1".

Stewie;

6. If you check out the crucible blog he discusses the advantages of a 1" holdfast and how to ream out existing dog holes without needing to plug them

I hope things go well for them, but in all honesty I think it will be quite a while before I pick up any $135 holdfasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I hope things go well for them, but in all honesty I think it will be quite a while before I pick up any $135 holdfasts.
    Holy crap!! $135???

I paid just over 30 bucks for a pair of Gramercy's holdfasts and they couldn't be better. I can think of a literal TON of tools I'd rather spend 135 bucks on.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Well, I won't pay it. But plenty of folks will. I mean, guys buy heavily priced tools all the time. How many times have we debated the merits of Bridge City, Woodpeckers, etc, etc, etc. If stuff is made well, some guys will buy it despite its cost - to have what they perceive to be "the best", for bragging rights, or simply because they just plain like the tool and could afford it.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-04-2016 at 6:33 AM. Reason: Deleted incorrect example caught by a later poster below
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I know this may be a bit nit picky, but the holdfast "instructions" indicates they will all be different (hand forged) and needs to be "fit" to the hole. So if you buy two or three....do you need to remember which hole was fitted for each holdfast?

The "fitting" process seems a bit old craftsman romantic, but not very practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I know this may be a bit nit picky, but the holdfast "instructions" indicates they will all be different (hand forged) and needs to be "fit" to the hole. So if you buy two or three....do you need to remember which hole was fitted for each holdfast?

The "fitting" process seems a bit old craftsman romantic, but not very practical.
    I hear you. But aren't there a few blacksmiths left today who hand forge holdfasts? Seems to me I recall at least a couple mentioned here over the years. (Blackhorse?) Don't people who buy theirs have the same concern? How do they deal with it?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything - your point is very valid. I'm just not sure that it's unique to Schwartz's holdfast.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-03-2016 at 9:03 PM. Reason: Clarify
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Not taken that way at all Frederick, and you're right, it wouldn't seem to be a unique situation.

May be an issue for Crucible when you consider one competitor, Black Bear Forge (hand forged holdfasts) sells 3/4" and 1" with no instructions to fit. They just indicate if they don't hold, they'll adjust the holdfast (not say you need to adjust the hole). Crucible has the most expensive holdfast I can find on the net, and it's ability to work is placed squarely on the customer...not to mention unique holes for each holdfast. I don't know.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 10-03-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Yep, the 1" holdfasts are different - at least in modern times - and with that comes risk for Crucible, but not you or I. Either make 1"holes or 3/4" holes, it's a choice.

According to their tests (scientific or not) the 1" holdfasts tend to hold very well on a variety of bench thicknesses. There are some posts here and elsewhere about some 3/4" holdfasts not holding so well under a variety of conditions, including thickness of the bench top; some, not a lot, and it's kinda sporadic. Either way, the science isn't quite there yet as to "why" each size does or doesn't work consistently.

I hope they have success, they're taking a big leap across a wide space, and every new business deserves a chance. I'll keep watching, and maybe start saving some more pennies.

Blog Entries
    Good chance they will catch on.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

If the shank was 3/4" I'd definitely buy some as my gramercy's dont hold in my bench unless I scuff them up with 50 grit after every 4-5 uses.

Even if I were to enlarge my bench holes to 1", who has 1" dogs??