Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glasses

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    That's part of my concern and it was suggested by the doc that wrote my prescription. I told him I might be getting a job sitting at a computer all day and he said I might not like the moving of the head all the time.
    John,

I worked with computers all of my professional career. I began wearing glass some 14 years ago and was into progressives about 12 years ago. The amount of "adjusting your head" is ever so slight that I never had any problems with it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have progressive lenses ... and would not be without them for normal wear. they work great for driving -- to see not only the road, but also the dashboard. I also use them at work ... and it is on a computer all day long.

I have the monitors low ... definitely not eye height --- that would not be at the right position for the progressive lenses to put the focal length to see thru if the screens were eye level.

My eyes are bad for seeing far -- I can barely see the big E on an eye chart. The progressive are needed so that I can see close with the glasses on -- they have gotten so strong that they affect the near seeing with the glasses on. When I need to look at something fine -- I usually take the glasses off -- easier that way ... but that is only for looking at something very detailed -- not normal in the shop. I do find that when trying to mount things high up, that I can never get the head positioned to that I can see the screw ... in those cases I take the glasses off.

I can see close with out a problem without glasses ... but normal use is with the glasses on ... and once you get used to progressive, they work fine for most cases --- and if they don't, it is easy to set them on the side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    I have progressives that are exactly what you say you need. I had no trouble adapting to them. The lenses are not 3 thicknesses and there is no line. I use mine for woodworking on my TS, working at the computer and reading. The only real adapting you have to do is to tilt your head slightly to bring what you are working on into focus in the correct part of the lens. I only wish I could get a pair that have the progression to the top of the lens instead of the bottom so that when I am working over my head I can see clearly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    At 59 I'm getting a new pair of glasses, or two, or three. I need glasses to see distance, a different prescription for the distance of a computer screen but I can see with no glasses for whatever is held in my hands. I find that a lot of what I do in my shop is without glasses though on occasion I could use the second prescription.I don't think I want progressive lenses (three thicknesses)but never having worn them I don't know for sure.

What are you folks wearing? Does it work for you?
    I have a similar prescription that you have, needing glasses for distance and nothing for reading. I have progressive lenses and don't mind them at all. I got used to them fairly quick. Sometimes you have to tilt your head slightly to bring something into focus. The only thing I don't like them for is reading. They still distort the image slightly even though the bottom third is supposed to be normal vision. I would have to move my head back and forth to read each line, so I usually just take them off to read.

My last 2 pairs were from Costco at about half the price I paid elsewhere. I also got a pair of cheap single vision glasses with the distance prescription so I can use them to watch TV when I am laying in bed.

Steve

I have worn glasses since I was 10. For daily life I wear progressives but while the close up section is OK for reading it is not OK for computer work or woodworking. I have separate single lenses for each of those activities. My woodworking glasses also have side shields that are supposed to prevent dust from getting to my eyes (they don't work very well). I find that having the correct prescription for each activity makes each easier to do.

Thanks all, I'm feeling better about the progressives.