Thread: Question re: slotting cutters for router use

Question re: slotting cutters for router use

I have the type where the slotting blades mount on a shaft with a bearing and retaining nut on top. My question is can I remove the bearing and Safely use a 1/16 " slotting cutter for a greater depth of cut? Removing the bearing gets me an extra 5mm of cutting depth to reach through the bottom of my spline sled. Also can I use cheap Home Depot washers to fill the bearing space so the nut applies full pressure to the 1/16" blade. My intention is to use this on a router table and set the fence carefully to avoid my work piece contacting the actual router bit shaft. I'm using a small shop built sled for cutting splines on box corners similar to one typically used on a tablesaw but flipping it on its side so the sled rides against the fence. The boxes are small so a 1/16" spline looks better.
    As a footnote I was going to do this on my saw stop with the thin kerf 7 1/4 inch sawblade but I can't figure out how to disable the blade sensor with the smaller diameter blade, The saw stop won't let me.

Thanks for your help.
    No project too small or too expensive.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Not sure what brand cutter you're using, can you replace the original bearing with a smaller one instead of using "cheap HD" washers. My concern is if they don't fit snuggly over the shaft or are thicker on one side than the other it can cause an imbalance which at 15,000 RPM is not good - I personally wouldn't do this.
    Would it be an option to remove material from the bottom of your sled to achieve a greater depth of cut?

I suppose you are using the fence of router table.
    If there is enough thread on the shaft to securely tighten the nut over the blade (with a washer in between) I wouldn't worry about it. It is like a small table saw blade then.

Mine came with different diameter bearings so that I could change the depth of cut. Thinnest cutter I've used is 1/8. If you got a smaller diameter bearing would that remove the need for the additional HD washers? Not saying they are a bad idea, just don't know how flat they are and whether they will give you even clamping force which may affect the alignment of the cutter

Blog Entries
    Some body is selling a package of assorted diameter bearings. I have used smaller diameter bearings on some of my bits when I needed to.

It will work. The out of balance on what are small diameter washers will be negligible. When selecting the washers, just check each one to make sure it is punched symmetrically and is burr free. It's a good bush mechanic's solution that gets you out of trouble and won't remove body parts. Cheers

When? If you have time, most cutter suppliers supply precision washers for different thickness cutters/slotters.
    they are designed to clamp the slotter, best choice.
    Some slotter arbors are 8mm others 5/16". Wrong washer will jam on the arbor.
    Fence control is the way to go, as you suggested.

Thanks to all you creekers for the advice. Never fail to get the right solutions here. I didn't know I could buy replacement precision washers for these router shafts, thanks Pat.
    No project too small or too expensive.