Thread: *Current* deals on bang-for-the-buck 12" miter saw blades?

*Current* deals on bang-for-the-buck 12" miter saw blades?

Just bought a (an?) Hitachi 12" scms and while the blade that came with it is ok...it's just ok.

Any deals out there lurking for a good all purpose blade?

Thanks in advance for leads,
    Russ

I would start with this link just to familiarize yourself with what is out there in easy reach, then if something doesn't present itself through a bit of research you can always dig a little deeper.

--> https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=14G38MQ27DWLB

I like Freud blades and find them to usually be the best bang for the buck for general use, but I got a Dewalt 3232PT (halfway down the Amazon page link) new for around $20 about a year ago and it has seen quite a lot of general and precision work and I'm impressed with both it's longevity and quality of cut. Smooth cuts, minimal tear out...I was happy to try it at the price I found it for, but would probably buy it again for $50 if I couldn't find a comparable Freud that I liked for a similar amount. Although, I doubt I would buy another thin kerf 12" blade again, even though this one has been largely impressive. Full kerf is usually most accurate at this size.

I'm sure others will chime in. It will likely help others respond to have you define what you mean by all purpose.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 11-02-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    I would start with this link just to familiarize yourself with what is out there in easy reach, then if something doesn't present itself through a bit of research you can always dig a little deeper.

--> https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=12+miter+saw+blade&sprefix=12%22+miter%2C aps%2C128&crid=14G38MQ27DWLB

Thanks for the link

I like Freud blades and find them to usually be the best bang for the buck for general use, but I got a Dewalt 3232PT (halfway down the Amazon page link) new for around $20 about a year ago and it has seen quite a lot of general and precision work and I'm impressed with both it's longevity and quality of cut. Smooth cuts, minimal tear out...I was happy to try it at the price I found it for, but would probably buy it again for $50 if I couldn't find a comparable Freud that I liked for a similar amount. Although, I doubt I would buy another thin kerf 12" blade again, even though this one has been largely impressive. Full kerf is usually most accurate at this size.

I'm sure others will chime in. It will likely help others respond to have you define what you mean by all purpose.
    All purpose: Well I've got the Hitachi that came with the saw for rough work or materials that might damage a 'good' blade. I suppose I'm looking for a less expensive alternative to a Forrest Chopmaster, a blade that gives a fine finish, cuts quickly without burning through hard woods, and stays sharp a reasonable length of time. I was very happy with the Freud 10" on my old miter...maybe I'll go that way again. I was really hoping someone would point me in the direction of a good blade that's a hidden deal...sale etc.
    Thanks

I have been using the following blade for quite some time with excellent results.

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Tooth-S.../dp/B0002TUFXG

Being thin kerf really helps when cutting down 8/4 hard maple 9+ inch wide. It leaves a glass smooth finish and has been cutting multiple hundred cuts without bogging down. I also like the negative rake that prevents the blade from pulling itself in the cut. I think it also results in better finish, especially with a zero clearance insert and close fence.

I always keep that one for finish dimensions and do the real roughing with a couple of cheap Dewalt blades (there is a package with 1x 60t and 2x 80t that pops up for about 69$ around my area)

Hope this helps you!

If your not willing to close in on $100 a blade your stuck. The $75 Freud option is our GoTo. Unless your cutting trash/nails/staples there is no reason to skimp.

Russ, you do not want an "all purpose" blade for your SCMS...you want a blade that's designed for that kind of machine to insure it not only cuts well, but also cuts safely. Tooth geometry is important in that respect for CMS and SCMS type saws.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Understood.
    Freud is in the cart...

Thanks for all the input guys.
    R