Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press Chip Collection

Drill Press Chip Collection

I'm working on some cabinets and boring the 35mm holes for the euro cup hinges on my drill press. I've tried a POWERTEC 70169 Mini Gulp Dust Hood from Amazon with a clamp on the back of the drill press table, but it seems to only catch about 1/3 of the chips. I can do a bit better by holding the hose from my dust collector (a 1hp Delta 2 bag unit) closer to the bit; but that leaves 1 hand to hold the hose and the other to bring the bit down, which I don't like that much.

I could just sweep up after each hinge, but I'd prefer to catch more of the chips as they are made. Is there a better way to do collect the chips than that?

When I've had a bunch of hinge cups to drill I've set up dust collection similar to yours and also added an air stream to blow the chip toward the dust chute. It's worked for me. Still have to sweep though.

Fabricate something to hold the hose in the right place. Duct tape would work fine for one time use.

Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I use the Flex Form hose which you bend into a shape and it stays. I also will use my shop vac instead of the dust collector because it has much higher suction, static pressure. It will pull the chips to it better.

I corral the chips ... works great with hole saws and forestner boring bits.
    That picture was taken immediately after the bore ... virtually 100% collected.
    I had a batch of doors to do and I was struggling with the same situation ... when I noticed the band saw off-cut and tried it.
    ChipCorral.JPG

Blog Entries
    I do as Larry does but, Sam's idea is pretty slick.

DP-DC (2).jpgDP-DC cplr-use.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I drill hundreds of 1" holes in Toys for Tots car bodies. I rigged up a dc system. It's a 3 X5 down spout adapter, screwed to the fence as close as possible to drill bit. I add a shield on top of fence to help direct air flow into down spout adapter. Hose feeds thru Thien Baffle before going to cyclone which is in corner of shop. Hose is fastened using a 4" sch 20 X 3"sch 40 adapter from Lowes. A short piece of sch 20 pipe connects down spout adapter and hose adapter.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 11-22-2016 at 8:36 AM.

DRILLING 2.jpg

Hi, this is a jig I built that attaches to the drill press fence.

It has only enough clearance for the object being drilled, plus a few millimeters.

It works very well.

I actually built a right and left hand version......................Regards, Rod.

You're not holding the work?
    It's clamped and crowded so it won't move?
    Or you're holding the work?
    If the work is secured, your left hand could do the house-cleaning
    without risk. The best way to collect swarf is with you at the
    the hose, as it's created.

+1.
    That's how I do it also, but, I don't use a jig. I just toss a roll of masking tape down to corral the chips.
    That way if the bit hits it it's no biggie.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I just drilled a hole in a piece of scrap plywood about 5"x8" . The hole was sized to accept the tapered shop vac hose tube so it would stick out the other side of the plywood a few inches.
    I clamped the plywood to the back stop on my drill press table. Then adjusted the back stop right up to the point there the chips exited the hole I was drilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Puhalovich View Post
    That picture was taken immediately after the bore ... virtually 100% collected.
    Nice! that goes on the list of things to do.

Thanks Sam!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Nice! that goes on the list of things to do.

Thanks Sam!
    That's on my list too!
    War Eagle!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Gunning View Post
    Fabricate something to hold the hose in the right place. Duct tape would work fine for one time use.
    We used to use these hose assemblies by Loc-Line in the machine shop where I worked for a number of years. They work well to blow off chips and are infinitely adjustable.Z0Bzpzfo5oy.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute