Thread: Beall Bowl Buff

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have the 2" and 4" buffs, plus the 8" and the extension. I couldn't buff very many bowls without the extension. Too close to the headstock. The 2" buffs are about worthless, or maybe I say that I haven't found the right project to use them on just yet. The 4" buffs are nice to have and do the majority of my inside buffing.

I use all 3 buffs, though I do skip the WD buff on open-grained woods. If you're going for a smooth, glassy finish it really does make a difference.

As for preferred finish, I started out using them to buff poly and lacquer, but the recommended speed would melt the finish or eat it off in short order. I did, however, learn that on lacquer the right amount of pressure would soften and flatten runs, but sanding them flat is still the preferred method. I believe the recommended speed was for using on a Danish oil finish, and at that they are spectacular. Since DO isn't a surface treatment you are polishing the wood as much as the finish and it is much more forgiving.

I do wonder why no one makes a 6" mushroom buff.

BTW if you want to save a little money, you can get 4" mushroom buffs that fit in drill chucks for quite a bit less than the beall versions.