Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cherry Shaker Oval Boxes with qs Sycamore

Slow down dude, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Jason

The ever-talented Mr. Tuinstra continues to show his versatality! Nice job Jason, aka Mr. I get things done ahead of schedule (or am I just molasses(?)) . How long did this project take ya, 2 hours???? Your killing me! My wife is now banned from this site after looking up your projects and looking at the dates they were posted, now I'm toasted!!! Seriously, nice job, those aren't easy to make and have them coming out looking that good. Keep it up dude and congrads on gracing the pages of finewoodworking. Take care.

Gratefully, David

p.s. If you kick out a Steinway $ Sons piano next week, I quit, I'm selling my tools and moving on to scrapbooking (not there's anything wrong with that) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice job, Jason, and I can't believe you made the bands yourself. Tops and bottoms I can understand, but the bands must have been a lot of work.

How thin did you resaw to start? Then you used a drum sander, correct? I took the class last summer, and made a few so far, but none as nice as yours. That QS sycamore looks fantastic!

Hmm...maybe when I get caught up, I'll try to make some bands and see how long it takes. I am thinking buying them from John might be worth it, for me.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

very nice jason! first class work

Let's see, how does one qualify for "neighbor" status. Same street, same zip, same country, oh, I win!

Once again lovely to look at and, I'm sure, lovely to hold.

Your versatility is amazing and inspirational. Chests, desks, chairs and shaker boxes.

What's next?

Merry Christmas, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

David: LOL Thanks. On and off, it took me a week and a half to build - very slow actually for only four boxes .

Martin: Because John Wilson slices his bands, you have to be careful with the edges as they split and check. When you sand them down, you don't have this problem. How thin did I cut them? Thin enough so that I wouldn't have to be at my drum sander all day. How's that for an answer? I used a dial caliper to bring them to the thicknesses that Wilson recommends per box. I probably didn't use as much straight grain as I should have, but this is what I had.

Tom: Thanks! Ah, the address has to be current to get in on the offer Next? I have some built in's that I need to put up which really has me nervous. We'll see how it goes.

Everyone: Thanks so much for your kind words. These boxes are a long way from "perfect" but they were fun and I hope it inspires some of you guys to tackle a set of your own.

Yum!! Those are GREAT, Jason!!

I have a friend in Colorado who enjoys making these boxes, too. They really are nice to make and give as well as have!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

nice

Very nice boxes.. I have some quartersawn sycamore also and I have used some of it for a box (square box not shaker box) The key is it being quartersawn... Looks wonderful. I do not see it around these parts much..do you recal where you got yours?

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Pine
    do you recal where you got yours?
    Chris, thanks. I got mine in Indiana somewhere. Sorry, I don't remember much beyond that. I think it might have been Woodcraft.

Amazing Jason. What a wood combo!
    I've had John's website bookmarked for a long time, the Popular Woodworking article earmarked, and his class booklet sitting on a shelf in my shop for some time now. These are definately on my learn to do list, once time and $$ allow.

Really great job!

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks