Thread: Neanderthal Newbie

Neanderthal Newbie

My first neander-bench is well on its way after three weeks of devoted shop time. After reading about so many styles of benches, English, Roubou, 21st century, new-fangled, just to name a few, I decided on a hybrid of English and French that would give me a few options I feel are useful. I previously asked for comments about using solid-core doors and plywood, mdf, etc and decided to take the advice of so many and build a solid wood top. The bench is all southern yellow pine (SYP), abundant and cheap in the Gulf South. I hand selected the best boards of 2x construction lumber for the project and found the 2x8 and 2x12 stock suitable the day I visited the Big Blue store. I stashed the lumber in the shop loft, stickered and clamped, in September for some warm weather drying.

Fast forward two months, I had to mill the lumber to flat and square and found that a plywood sled was invaluable for the first straight edge, passing more than half the ripped boards back through the table saw, non-neander, of course. I basically wanted 5" stock for layers in the legs and front stretcher and 3" + stock for laminating the top, side stretchers, etc. I also found my lunchbox planer very valuable to get the lumber into shape. I designed a few mortise and tenon joints into the glue-ups so I would not have to "chop out" later. This meant, for example, using the same thickness in the first and second laminations for the legs as I did for the top so that the leg tenon going into the bench top would fit properly and the front edges would be flush. This was true for the French side of the bench; The English side of the bench does not have tenons into the bench top, but rather relies on an "apron" to stabilize to legs. On the English side of the bench, I needed to be sure to use the same finished thickness for the front layer of the legs as I used for the wide apron, so I simply added the third (outer) layer after the apron was in place.

I don't yet have a "style" so I thought a hybrid bench would give me options. I've planned to build some sort of bench for a couple of years and collected the two quick release vises I thought I'd need when bargains presented themselves. One was a craigslist Wilton and the other an open-box Eclipse from the amazing online etailer. Just about six weeks ago, a quick-release vise from a big R woodworking supply company found me on craigslist for another $20. Who am I to say no? The first couple of days I thought I'd have to choose two of the three and then the hybrid idea kicked in. I t is not unlike a student's bench with a face vise on each side of the bench, but one side has a tail vise as well.

Going forward with this project, I basically had a shop loft that had some decent SYP, a healthy respect for a lot of bench builders before me including the most practical Brit I know of, Paul Sellers, not to mention the three vises that cost me $150 total. I liked the idea of the apron, not just for apron's sake but perhaps more that it would allow rolling "stuff" to be stored under the bench. I'm really into the wheel and have all my shop tools on mobile bases. The French half of the bench has tenons all the way through the 3" thick top as well as a lower front stretcher that is mortised into the legs that are 35" apart. I really like the idea of a tool well because I AM THAT GUY who will focus so much on the project piece as I move it that my plane, saw, and or chisel will be knocked off the bench onto the concrete floor. Bob Lang's 21st century workbench article solves some tool well shortcomings by filling the well with three removable boxes that facilitate clean-up and tool storage.

I am nearing the home stretch and, as always, the finishing up is slow as I'm trying to be oh so careful. I have one coat of Danish oil on most bench surfaces since I was anxious to provide some sealing of the wood after flattening the top this week. I started with hand planes like I used on the leg and stretcher assemblies after glue-up then I switched to a router sled with a 1.25" mortising bit to finish the top off. I hand sanded to 80 grit only since I want a flat top that is not slick. I installed the end vise and the vise chop and have yet to make the chop for the English face vise. The face vise for the French side is a massive Eclipse 10" made like an old Record vise. I have not yet mounted that vise and I'm not sure if my original placement idea, just outside the left leg, is a good one. I do not plan to mortise the rear jaw into the bench and will simply add a layer of plywood to the underside of the bench top and lag screw the vise there. This puts the material in the vise a bit outside the plane of the bench edge, an idea that Paul Sellers is sold on. I see a board jack in my future, if not a sliding dead man.This Eclipse weighs 39 lbs and I'm wondering if I should install it just inside the leg instead of just outside the leg. This places the vise 21" from the bench corner (instead of 6") but perhaps in a more stable location, between the two legs. I'm not sure if I would notice the difference with a 3" thick top. The bench overhang is a generous 16" so even a brace that returns to the bench leg is a possibility just to assure that end is rock solid and remains that way. Besides the vise mount, there are dog holes and holdfast holes to drill into the top. I laid out a generous pattern of 3/4" holes for the apron then only drilled half of them when I needed to use a holdfast to support one of the rails for the router sled when flattening the top. It has been a rewarding project and a good tune-up for me before I begin building furniture for a "sun-room" that we added to the house over a decade ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a good looking bench and should be extremely functional. I made mine from box store construction lumber 7-8 years ago and she's everything I need. (I couldnt use a high end Sjoberg or such - I'd get mad every time it got a ding or a nick. ) I like the tool well - I have mine at the back and it tends to accumulate odds and ends rather than being a tool well. I'll go look at Lang's bench for ideas there. I really like your casters - don't really have room to move my bench off the wall but it would still be nice to have. I think it was clever to have a French side and an English side. Give it a year or so of use and it would be interesting to see a post describing how well that works for you.

Look forward to seeing you post some of that sunroom furniture!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Very nice bench. How long is it? Looks like the rollers are the type that allow you to thump the bench down to the floor for stability when working and then raise it for moving. How about a close up of the Eclipse? With the lack of a bottom stretcher on the English side and your preference for wheels, you could make a rolling tool cabinet that stores under the bench as desired. Looking good but that work area is way too clean. Needs some clutter to feel homey.
    David

Thanks guys. This is just one of many clean-up efforts when the focus changes to a different part of the build. Next up the tool well boxes. The bench is 29.5 x 72 inches with each side roughly 11" and a 7" tool well. Yes these casters just came in and are the lift and let down type. I bent the mounting plate (too soft and thin metal). Rated at 110 lbs each, I think the bench only weighed about 150-175 when I did this. The vendor is sending another set out but the description did not say I had to assist in lifting to engage the casters. I was hoping not to have to lift each corner of this beast of 260 lbs (I'm guessing) once all vises are installed. Sorry I do not have a pic of the Eclipse and it is storming outside right now as we cook dinner for my wife's entire family. But, they are sold through amazon and there are pics there. Happy holidays!
    Last edited by Dennis McCullen; 12-18-2016 at 8:47 AM. Reason: more detailed response

Looks great! Enjoy it!

Great looking bench. Given that you are not altering the benchtop to install the second face vise, why not put it on the outside of the leg and see how that works for you. You could always move it later. if you encounter stability issues. Either way I think you will enjoy working on this bench. Nice job!

Very well done! It's a great accomplishment that you will enjoy for many years to come.

Blog Entries
    Very good looking bench. I wish SYP was available on the west coast.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I do not plan to mortise the rear jaw into the bench and will simply add a layer of plywood to the underside of the bench top and lag screw the vise there. This puts the material in the vise a bit outside the plane of the bench edge, an idea that Paul Sellers is sold on.
    I have always wondered about this. Looked into it and found a few posts of Paul Sellers on the subject starting here:

https://paulsellers.com/2014/01/flush-vises/

After reading three Q&As on the subject it appears the main advantage is being able to get one's hand between the bench face and the work piece for a better grip. That is something that has never been a problem for me, even with an injury impaired right hand. Of course, having a vise flush to the front of the bench doesn't allow room for hanging saws or other tools along the apron, something not likely in my future.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Good lookin' bench. Mine's a laminated lumber Nicholson, but I quickly noticed the lack of a vise on it. While I *can* use holdfasts for everything, I think I'd prefer not to. I think your decision to put at least one on it is a very good idea.

Very nice results with that bench.....good work!!!!
    Jerry

You're on your way!! You've got a very functional bench there. The bench is truly the first step, isn't it?

FWIW, I'm not sure how useful a tool well is besides collecting shavings and hiding all your tools.

Here's a couple I've built in the last couple years: One has a tool well the other doesn't. I don't miss it on the first one.

The first one is a section of SYP bowling alley lane I got from a friend and the base is some dunnage from a sawmill that makes log homes. All the lumber was free all I have in it is about $280 for two vises

Shop bench 1.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

Thanks for reading my entry. I enjoyed a family Christmas get together and got a bit of shop time in this morning. I cut out the three boxes that make up the tool well and have two of them assembled and in clamps. I am curious Robert Engel, about the vise placement that appears to be in the middle of the bench. Since most I've seen are near the left end of the bench for righties and near the right end for lefties, I'd like to know what advantages you may have experienced with it in the middle.