Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which multi tool?

Which multi tool?

I have a HF and a Ryobi cordless multi tool. But when I was patching our oak floor where I removed a wood stove, neither would help cut the flooring. I wanted to plunge cut a board so I could remove it and both multi tools were so slow I just chiseled the cut. I used a new Bosch blade.

I didn't get a new sander for Christmas and am thinking I might need a good multi tool worse. The ones I have cut drywall great but are not very useful on anything harder. The reviews I see on You Tube and in writing indicate multi tools will cut even hardwood at a decent pace. But my cheap ones do not. They have cut off a piece of casing so I can fit flooring under it several times but they are slow at even that. I am thinking of a Fein FMM 350Q ($155), Fein FMM 350 QSL ($180), Bosch GOP40-30B ($180) or Bosch MX30EL ($120).

A big question is the type of chuck. The most expensive version of each has a "starlock" chuck which is apparently the latest and greatest. Right now, blades are about $10 each for this arrangement. Off brand blades that would fit the older model (I think) are as cheap as $2/blade. The Bosch are probably better but that is a big difference. I figure the starlock blades will probably become more common and I don't use this tool a ton so I won't have a lot in blades either way. But it is possible the starlock chuck won't continue to be the latest and greatest or that it will become the standard and the old style blades will get scarce. But it seems more likely both types of blades will be available and the price gap will decrease.

The reviews suggest the Fein is quieter and has less vibration. It also has a 3.5 amp motor versus a 4 amp for the most expensive Bosch. But I think the fein sweeps the blade a bit more and that may control speed of cut more than the motor amps. I don't consider this to be a significant factor. I'm close to buying one of the Feins.

But what would you do? Fein, Bosch or somebody else? Starlock or older style?

I have the Fein 350Q - I don't have any experience with the Bosch models. I haven't used the Fein a lot yet (less than 10 times). Most of my work with it has been cutting baseboards on remodels. It cuts like a hot knife in butter. Very little vibration (though as I noted, I don't have experience with other multitools for comparison). I have found myself almost looking for reasons to use it...which is always the sign that you like the tool - right?

Blog Entries
    I have the Bosch MX25E model and it is a great tool. For hardwoods you want the Bosch OSC138JF blade. It cuts hardwood really well and is made for plunge cuts. I used this blade to cut through two red oak door jambs to install door operated light switches in our pantry and front closet doors.
    osc138jf.jpg

The blade doesn't do well on nails DAMHIKT.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-30-2016 at 2:35 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    It's not on your short list, but I have the 12 Volt Milwaukee and wouldn't want to be without it.

Blog Entries
    Forget cordless unless you are a pro that has to go to various sites with the work environment as a big unknown. Even the HF corded model cut through sub-floor and 1970's counter tile like butter. Using off-brand cutters is a waste of time. Check the reviews, the winners are pretty obvious, its not a subtle difference in performance.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What Glenn said. I have the HF variable speed corded model and it is a beast if you use the correct blade. I think I paid something like $40 for it. You can spend a lot more, but for my needs this one does everything I've asked of it.

John

I've got a Fein 350Q. It is my favorite portable power tool. I've used it on hardwood to cleanly cut out small sections before, and I won't say it cuts through "like butter" as it would on a door jamb, it definitely gets the job done.

I don't have Starlock. I don't find the lever to be so frustrating that I would want Starlock instead of the regular system, given that the new accessories will work on the old tools; it seems the flexibility is worth more than the simpler blade change. I have no experience with that though, so take it with a grain of salt.

I have the HF one. It works, but not all blades fit it.

I've got the Bosch MX-25EK, but when I moved 6 months ago, I needed one and it was already packed, so I went and bought one from HF, not expecting much, but it cut through anything that I threw at it without any problems. As everyone else has said, it's the blade that matters and if you put a good name-brand blade on it, you're golden.

Blog Entries
    I have a Fein that I got when they still had the patent (really expensive then). I like it a lot; very smooth, super easy blade changes, plenty of power.

,I have the Ridgid corded model and really like it. The biggest aspects of this one, for me, are the interchangeable heads. I use it quite a bit for all sorts of tasks.

But as others have stated, it is the quality of the blade used that makes the biggest difference. I would also agree the chorded model is much better with more and longer lasting power.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    It's not on your short list, but I have the 12 Volt Milwaukee and wouldn't want to be without it.
    I've owned two of the Feins and prefer my new Milwaukee Cordless.

Blog Entries
    You don't need to spend a ton of money to get a multi-tool that will cut oak. I have a Dremel MM20 2.4 amps, corded and it works fine on hardwood.
    NOW you tell me...

+1 on the Fein. I used mine a LOT when building my shop on a variety of materials.

JKJ

I have one of the less expensive Dremels, which works just fine. I use it a lot for general carpentry and cabinetry (fitting). I'm sure the Fein and Festool are really top equipment - more than once I've picked them up at the lumber yard - just to sense the quality. But the cost difference is pretty significant, and the Dremel hasn't held me back or compromised the quality of my work. The difference maker for me - in terms of performance - was getting the Imperial Storm Blades.

I recently used the Dremel to cut a square hole in sheetrock following lines drawn in a ceiling where a plumber needed access and was standing there counting the seconds. It performed flawlessly and it was easy to replace the sheetrock when done. I was pleasantly surprised and I must say converted from a keyhole saw or knife wielder.

One drawback is I don't know of any machine hat has dust collection. From what I've seen, you are pretty much going to need to hold a vacuum hose or get someone to do that for you as you cut.

Update: Just looked at the tool, and in fact it has what most would consider a lightweight 1.5 amp motor ... but as I said, it works fine for me. One improvement I made (thanks Craig for the idea) ... the case wouldn't close with anyone's blade but the anemic Dremels that came with it ... I had been unscrewing the blades each time I put the tool away, when a friend showed me how he had simply sliced the box. Great idea and eliminated a huge source of frustration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 12-30-2016 at 8:37 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius