Thread: Any downside to shortening vee-arm on Wolverine jig?

Any downside to shortening vee-arm on Wolverine jig?

I'm in the process of rearranging my shop. I use the Oneway Wolverine sharpening jig on my grinder. I'd like to move the grinder closer to a wall. Now the "Vee-Arm" sticks out about a foot behind the grinder which limits how close I can put it to the wall.

Is there any downside to just cutting off most of that extra extension? For how I use it now, I can't think of any. But I wonder if I'm missing something or if there are other uses I haven't thought of. Now I only use the Vee Arm with the vari-grind attachment for gouges. I sharpen spindle roughing gouges and skews and bottom-of-the-bowl traditional gouge grinds on my platform.

I'd appreciate hearing what people think or if others have done this.

Dave

I think it depends on individual preferences. Using the jig for a number of years should provide a basis for whether it would affect your style of turning/sharpening. After the years I have used it, I see no advantage to me for the added length, but others may have different experiences and needs. I have room for the length, so I haven't considered shortening the arm.

Since I have only one CBN wheel on my grinder, I use side that almost exclusively for sharpening my tools. I'm constantly changing the length of the 'vee arm' from in to out when I'm using it.
    I know you say that you use the platform for your roughing gouge but I prefer using the 'vee arm' for sharpening mine so I personally would not cut it....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

A replacement is just $20. I say go for it.

I shortened mine about a year ago and haven't had any regrets so far. It's nice not having to pull the cart out from the wall every time I need to sharpen a gouge.

If I ever need a longer V-arm, I'll just buy another one (but I don't think I ever will).

Thanks everyone for the input. If I had realized how cheap they are to replace, I would have already gone for it. Time to get out the hacksaw...

Dave

I drilled holes in the wall behind mine.

I sharpen my spindle roughing gouges using the V arm and it is nearly all used for the 1-1/4" or large gouge with long handle in V. That works better for me than just hand holding on platform. I also have room behind grinder for the long shaft so it is not a problem, but I can see for just bowl or spindle gouges in the varigrind jig that a shortened arm would work well.

Dave - Tom A. - John

Hi Dave,
    I use my V arm like you do with the varigrind attachment exclusively. I see no down side in shortening the arm.

I also try to convince other turners NEVER to put a tool handle in the pocket and lean the edge on the wheel. This is a dangerous practice! Just imagine the disaster of letting the tool edge get too low and it crashing the stone into little flying bits. This would end in a visit to the Emergency Department, possibly with permanent physical damage.
    Just my thoughts on using the V arm with the tool handle in the pocket.
    Peter F.

Peter, I could not agree more having had just that happen. Luckily I only gouged the wheel which I then had to replace. It did not shatter, but I would not trust it after that.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thank you Thom,
    I am sorry to hear that you messed up your wheel but it confirms my thoughts on this subject. I only wish we were not preaching to the converted. Most Woodturners still stick their handles in the v pocket and grind away.
    The Varigring jig is so much safer and it lets you SHARPEN lightly and not GRIND your tools into dust!
    thanks
    Peter F.

I had several feet of the square tubing from another project so I just welded up a couple of new/short/modified arms. I think from the steel supply house 20 feet of tubing may have been 20 bucks. Maybe a good club project is to make a bunch of custom arms.

The welder is one of my favorite woodworking tools.

Jim

I slide mine out and hang it on the side of the cart when not using it.
    Alan Miller