Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Costco LED shop lights - $19.99

Anyone still able to see these on the costco site? Looks like they are gone to me?

They appear to be gone from the website. Either discontinued by FEIT or Costco, or simply out of stock. I should imagine a similar replacement will show up at a similar price point some point in the future, unless they had too many returns. Hopefully that isn't the case, I ended up buying 30 of them, with 25 in the attic waiting for the new shop build.
    Mark McFarlane

3. They are available on Amazon but $47/fixture There is a replacement that I saw in the $40 range that has a motion detector built in. Still not a great option.

I have a 2 year old lighuania high bay 6 tube light that died. The ballasts are expensive, so I decided when I couldn't find the costco ones, to buy 6 bulbs off Ebay and ordered some tombstones off Amazon. It is costing me about as much as I could have bought 2 of the costco ones. Hopefully they will last

Why not just put retro bulbs in your existing fixtures? I put these in.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

18w, 5000k, fit both t8 & t12 tombstones and 90+ CRI. Not sure what cri the Costco ones were rated but I really like the color and output of these bulbs. They work with or without ballasts (check ballast compatibility thought). I cut out the ballast due to electricity costs here and wanted to save on power usage.

For what it's worth, I was at Costco today, and they had the lights on the shelf for $19.95.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    That is essentially what I did, just that I bought cheaper bulbs off ebay (8 for less than the amazon ones) that require the balasts to be removed, and when you use that type of bulb, you have to replace the tombstones on one end. To early in the morning, I can't remember for sure, but I have either 9 or 12 of those 6 bulb fixtures. If one only lasted 2 years and the reviews I am seeing now say similar things, then I suspect I am going to have to replace more of them in the near future. Just trying to keep costs down as much as I can.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-04-2017 at 9:52 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

The Amazon ones use standard keystones as they are dual ended and they have a five year warranty on them. Has two of their small 12v yard light bulbs die and they shipped at no cost the replacements. Plus they are CRI 90+ so you can see you finishes accurately.

I went to Costco today and they didn't have the complete fixtures. But they did have the replacement "bulbs". I did some research and it seems like there are "bulbs" or sticks that require the ballast to be bypassed and some that are direct drop ins (ballasts still in place). But in the things that I read, putting these tubes into a T12 ballast fixture will quickly kill the ballast. Are these reports incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I went to Costco today and they didn't have the complete fixtures. But they did have the replacement "bulbs". I did some research and it seems like there are "bulbs" or sticks that require the ballast to be bypassed and some that are direct drop ins (ballasts still in place). But in the things that I read, putting these tubes into a T12 ballast fixture will quickly kill the ballast. Are these reports incorrect?
    I think it depends on the bulb and ballast. The hyperikon ones on Amazon I linked have a supported ballast page on their website so you can see what is supported. They also have a 5 year warranty. I bypassed the ballast in 18 fixtures in about 3 hours and that included washing all of the wrap around covers on the fixtures of sawdust and dead bugs. I don't see why people would want to leave the ballasts in place. It just wastes electricity and is one more thing to break.

Thanks for your post, Chris.

I've read some anecdotal reports that the linear LED tubes may have a shortened life with the ballasts - - especially if running in a T12 fixture. So, I have started leaning towards ones where the ballast is cut out/bypassed. When I looked at the costco ones yesterday, it said that I did not have to remove the ballasts. But I would prefer to do so anyway. Are you pretty sure that they will work w/o a ballast? Also, any idea if any/all of the "works with ballast" bulbs would also work w/o a ballast?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post

18w, 5000k, fit both t8 & t12 tombstones and 90+ CRI. Not sure what cri the Costco ones were rated but I really like the color and output of these bulbs. They work with or without ballasts (check ballast compatibility thought). I cut out the ballast due to electricity costs here and wanted to save on power usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Thanks for your post, Chris.

I've read some anecdotal reports that the linear LED tubes may have a shortened life with the ballasts - - especially if running in a T12 fixture. So, I have started leaning towards ones where the ballast is cut out/bypassed. When I looked at the costco ones yesterday, it said that I did not have to remove the ballasts. But I would prefer to do so anyway. Are you pretty sure that they will work w/o a ballast? Also, any idea if any/all of the "works with ballast" bulbs would also work w/o a ballast?
    Brice, Not all LED tubes work without a ballast unfortunately. If the packing says works with one but says nothing about working without one I suspect they will not work. That is why I went with the Hyperikon ones on amazon as they are like $10-11 a bulb depending on quantity, are CRI 90 bulbs and work without a ballast. Hyperikon has a few that only work with a ballast but thats the oddball ones. As for the costco ones I dont know for sure. I suspect the folks in the lighting and electrical forum on garage journal would know. They seem to know everything there Thanks and good luck!

I was in my local Costco yesterday and the Feit two tube shoplight fixtures are gone, but they still had a lot of the $17.99/pair LED retrofit tubes. I need to buy two more pair to upgrade the last two T12 shoplights I have out in the shop.

d to use 8foot ones

they are amazing i found some other fixtures at lowes to fill in the gaps