Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
But, it is difficult to find really wide platter blanks - green or dry.
For some species, it is going to be about impossible to fine really wide blanks. However, part of the scarcity problem even for species where the harvested trees might be wide enough is that there just isn't that much demand. Sawmills know that they will often have an easier time moving three 8" wide 8/4 boards than they will one 24" wide board, so they cut it up into 8"s. So unless it is unusually wide and has very pretty grain, in which case it will likely end up as a table slab (not cost effective for platters), its probably going to get chopped up. On more than one occasions when I have found an usually wide board, I have had the lumberyard owner tell me that it is nice to see someone finally buy it as it has been there for a long time unpurchased.

The best bet is sometimes just to deal with the sawmill owners themselves and let them know in advance what you want. If they know "that guy that keeps calling me" will buy a 20" wide cherry board, they will be more likely to cut one and call you.