Thread: Christmas Tree Souvenir Idea - Need Advice

Question Christmas Tree Souvenir Idea - Need Advice

We celebrated our daughter's first Christmas this year and my wife has asked me to make some coasters from the trunk of the tree that we can give to her in 20-some years when she gets her first place... I don't get it either... Anyway... Here's the picture she found and I was hoping you all would have some advice on the following questions:
    1. This is a Noble Fir and pretty sappy so I'll be using a junk bandsaw blade. What's the minimum thickness you would recommend?
    2. What sort of finish would you use to protect it?
    3. Should I dry out the trunk for a while first? Or cut the slabs while it's still green?

FYI: The coasters in the picture are "cut from mango wood and have been coated with oil to prevent water stains." Sounds fancy...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Tree Coasters.jpg
    Last edited by Andy Compton; 01-13-2017 at 6:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    You might want to cut a large section of the trunk and let it dry for a couple of months, otherwise your "coasters" are likely to crack when they dry. Once the wood is dry you can cut and finish the blanks you need.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Be sure to seal both ends of that "large section" to keep the ends from drying too fast and splitting too. Melted candle or paraffin wax, or several coats of latex paint will do the job. Only the ends need to be coated, but leave the bark on the sides.

Charley

This is very helpful information. Once I let it dry for a few months, what kind of finish would you use? Just a basic poly?

I don't think that a couple of months is enough to let it dry. You have 20 years. I would tuck it away for a year at least