Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley now has the Parf Guide system for making Festool 96mm x 20mm tops

108 UK Pounds = 135USD + shipping from the UK which can be pricey (as per David's post above - approx. 34USD). Lee Valley is 169USD + shipping and tax so yes cheaper depending on UK ship cost. Not sure about any US customs broker charges. Certainly worth talking to Axminster

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Wait, so doesnt that make it cheaper to buy it from the UK?

As noted when all is said and done the price won't be much different, some people just seem to avoid international purchases (or buy Lee Valley gift cards on Black Friday for 15% off). I don't really get avoiding international purchases, I buy 70+% of my Festool accessories from the UK and Germany (save an average of 40%). It helps the dollar is currently strong but the tide has started shifting in the last few days with the pound at least.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

3. What I paid (including shipping from UK) is less than what it would cost if I were to buy it now from LV. I mean, I bet you'll get it faster from LV, though. Took about 10 days, I think, to get mine from Axminster.

It certainly looks tedious to make a top with that jig. Interesting, yet tedious.

Tedious with either the LR32 or Parf system approach, I would think - but its not something you are doing frequently

Think I will stay with my plan of just purchasing replacement MFT tops when needed. Available in a couple sizes. They are priced reasonably when considering the cost of machining it seems to me. Oh and yes I am lazy!.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    Think I will stay with my plan of just purchasing replacement MFT tops when needed. Available in a couple sizes. They are priced reasonably when considering the cost of machining it seems to me. Oh and yes I am lazy!.
    Most don't buy it to make replacement tops, it is usually used to make work surfaces in odd sizes or large sizes.

It isn't very tedious, once you figure it out, it is really more like busy work, repetitive but mindless.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yea its for making your own custom tops with holes compatible with Festools MFT top hole pattern. For the MFT yea Id just buy a new top too. But I dont like the MFT, so Im more interested in building my own table but still keeping it compatible with any/all Festool hole patterned accessories.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Woodrave Jig Would Work For an MFT Style Table, Too

Or for a different way using pegboard as a guide, this jig:

http://woodrave.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

This assumes you have a router and the necessary router bit for the size dog hole you want. (MFT is 20mm) The Festool bit is $63 and excellent. I think Bosch or Freud makes one as well. If you bought the jig and the Festool bit (note 8mm shank so you'll need a 1/2" to 8mm or 5/16 reducer) you'll be in for a little over $100.

It would only be as accurate as the pegboard, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...54&cat=51&ap=1
    Up until now the only way to get it in the US was ordering from Axminster in the UK. It makes very accurate 96mm x 20mm grids like the MFT. The reviews are excellent as long as you follow the instructions.

I'm so glad my company has a 10'x30' CNC machine. I've had the shop guys make me a few MFT style tops in the past. Just program and push start to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    As noted when all is said and done the price won't be much different, some people just seem to avoid international purchases (or buy Lee Valley gift cards on Black Friday for 15% off). I don't really get avoiding international purchases, I buy 70+% of my Festool accessories from the UK and Germany (save an average of 40%). It helps the dollar is currently strong but the tide has started shifting in the last few days with the pound at least.
    Hi, I have looked into buying some Festool power tools and a Lamello biscuit jointer from the UK. In the case of the biscuit joiner, there was a substantial savings, but I could not work around the 230V issue. In the case of the Domino, you can get it in 110V but the plug style would be UK so you would have to use an adapter, probably not a big deal where the voltage is correct. However the Festool ROS was only available in 230V.

Any suggestions on how to overcome these hurdles, or have you been mainly buying accessories where voltage is not an issue? The pound crash after the Brexit vote has these prices a better deal than the domestic ones, not sure how long that will last though. Thanks

I still have not got around to making a workbench top.May have to order one .

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Hi, I have looked into buying some Festool power tools and a Lamello biscuit jointer from the UK. In the case of the biscuit joiner, there was a substantial savings, but I could not work around the 230V issue. In the case of the Domino, you can get it in 110V but the plug style would be UK so you would have to use an adapter, probably not a big deal where the voltage is correct. However the Festool ROS was only available in 230V.

Any suggestions on how to overcome these hurdles, or have you been mainly buying accessories where voltage is not an issue? The pound crash after the Brexit vote has these prices a better deal than the domestic ones, not sure how long that will last though. Thanks
    I have only bought accessories from across the pond. There is significant info about using the power tools on FOG, the 230V tools run fine on 240V 60hz and those that use them onsite often have transformers. The main draw for UK and EU Festool power tools is that so many are NAINA (not available in North America). If it is available here most just pay the money (like I did) since not only do you have warranty issues you have the issue of parts availability.

Van, would you mind sharing some links to the best sources you've found for the Festool accessories?

What Festool products are you guys after from the UK that run on 230V that you cant get here in the US in a 110V version?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!