Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to cancel online subscription to Fine Woodworking?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    This reminds me of when I cancelled my AOL account many years ago. It was a months long ordeal. Hopefully Taunton isn't that bad.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

This is one reason I will never sign up for anything with recurring charges. If I want to cancel, I just stop paying them. Then it's up to them whether they want to keep sending it for free or not. Some do. I stopped paying for the stupid AAA magazine Westways decades ago and they still send it to me. It just goes in the recycling bin.

Most banks will issue you a temporary CC for these types of circumstances. Let it drop after purchase and then they can't renew as CC is void. We just went thru this with AT&T. FIL died, as in DEAD, in Oct. Canceled service at end of already paid for portion. Canceled CC. Remember he is DEAD! For next four months, At&T sent letters saying the couldn't debit his CC. He's dead, so I wonder why?

About once a year I change my credit card number and this has helped me from potential hacks and recurring membership charges.

FWW is pretty messed up. I tried to subscribe this afternoon to the on-line version. Would not take my money. Now that's bad customer service. Eventually after talking to 4, yes 4 customer service agents I was able to access the site. If you have trouble with some of the customer service numbers try 886-452-5141. Touton (sp) Press is supposedly reorganizing their customer service division and that number goes straight to the electronic division. Also they do not support AOL as a brouzer (sp) so pick some other poison.

Another way to prevent cancellation hassles is to use a Visa gift card or equivalent. Also no worries about CC/personal info being stolen.

The subscription can be cancelled by going to "Customer Support" link at the very bottom of the page. You need to log in again with a combination of Account number and email, ZIP and email, or Full Name and address. I found it once and had to spend 15 minutes more to find it today. In any case, customer support reacted to my email which I sent in the meantime in ~5 minutes.

I don't think it's intentional. It's likely because they are Taunton's and their software implementation is bad.

Taunton is a print media company, not a digital media company! When they first come out with the back issues on CD, they had all kinds of problems. You had to have some odd ball software or something to read it as I remember. Maybe in the future they will hire some young person who knows computers to fix the problem and not rely on old men who are "expert" woodworkers, but know very little about modern digital media.
    CPeter

Using the Customer Support link under the Menu worked for me, took me about 10 minutes to find it...

Not to revise the dead, but I just canceled the online Fine Woodworking subscription. You cannot do it from the Fine Woodworking online area. You have to log into the Tauton website and cancel it there. It took about five minutes to find the right web site and area, but it was painless. After a few years it just seems like they don't offer much new information.

Where do you find you account number? In account settings, they only give you a user number, but no account number. In order to access anything at Taunton, you need the account number. There is no account number listed in the online signup receipt either.

Never mind, I thought I had to lag in at the first tab to get to the second...turns out you can log in at the email/zipcode tab.

Hopefully, it really did cancel.
    Last edited by James Biddle; 01-03-2018 at 10:35 AM.