Thread: Used Nova 1624 questions

Used Nova 1624 questions

I have a Rikon 70-220VSR midi lathe that I've been using for almost a year. I like it a lot and it does what I want in regards to spindle turning and small bowl turning. I would eventually like to do some larger bowls and platters, maybe some larger hollow forms as well. If I could afford to buy one right now I would get the Jet 1840, it has some features that I like. But it would take some time to save to get that.

I see that the Nova Galaxi is on sale now for $1999, that is still a huge stretch for me at this point in time.

Locally there is a Nova 1624-44 for sale, hardly used. What I like about it is that it has a rotating head stock so that getting into bowls or platters would be easier on my back (not having to bend over). I like that its not very big as I have quite a small shop. The price isn't great though, its $75 less than a new 1624 when they are on sale. I'm going to keep an eye on the price and see if he comes down to a more reasonable price. This is where I have some questions.

I know that the 1624 isn't in the same league as the Laguna Revo, Nova Galaxi or Jet 1840. But is the 1624 a capable lathe for turning bowls larger than my Rikon's 12" limit? Is it too light causing it to bounce around the room? I know there is a DVR upgrade that I could eventually do, is the 1624 with the dvr upgrade something to consider as a capable lathe? If the seller came down to $500 and with a dvr upgrade that would still be almost half of the Galaxi. Anyway, just thinking of a bigger lathe but I don't want to spend hard saved money for something that may not be worth buying.

Thanks guys.

David, I have that lathe with the DVR upgrade. You are right, the price he's asking is way too high. First off let me ask this, does it have the outrigger assembly included and does it have the legs on it? If it doesn't have the outrigger that's another $200ish dollars to truly turn outboard with it. That being said, the outboard has a 29" diameter but is limited by the depth you can turn. I mostly use my outboard rigger to hold a task lamp. If it is on the hybrid leg stand it is very stable for a lathe that is so light. I weighed mine down with a 70 pd sandbag also to add some. If you plan to get the DVR upgrade at some time that's another $600.00. All said and done, I like the lathe but I would love to have saved my pennies for a REVO. Also, if you do decide to buy it and it's hardly used, I'd be curious as to why. I'd put it through it's paces and make sure there's no run out or other issues. I like the lathe, but since you already have the Rikon, I'd be patient. I didn't have a lathe so I was devoid of turning in my life at the time.
    USMC '97-'01

David----I've had the 1624 for about 30 months and have absolutely no complaints or issues. I do wish I had the DVR, however belt changing is not difficult or too time consuming. I've probably turned 300+ bowls, 30+ rolling pins, and 50+ other projects----very pleased. IMO a price that's only $75 less than new is far too high. I would expect to pay about 75% of new if it is in great shape----otherwise, buy new and get the warranty.

The seller says he is selling so he can get a bigger lathe. It does have the legs on it, the only thing included is one tool rest. No chucks, no outrigger. I'm glad to hear that it is stable especially with a bit of weight. I like the Laguna too but its a bit bigger than the space I have (though I could make it work if I had to). I do like the idea of being able to upgrade later to a dvr motor which would split my cost over time. The more I think about it even $500 would be too much. I'll just keep an eye on it and see if the price drops. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

David, I have used my Nova 1624 since March 2009. Upgraded with the DVR a year ago. They are a good lathe with added weight. Mine is on a bench with lots of sand in it. You are welcome to try it if you get up this way. I have turned bowls greater than 16".
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    David, I have used my Nova 1624 since March 2009. Upgraded with the DVR a year ago. They are a good lathe with added weight. Mine is on a bench with lots of sand in it. You are welcome to try it if you get up this way. I have turned bowls greater than 16".
    Allan, thank you for the offer. I may just have to take you up on that offer in the not too distant future.

Too much

About a year ago I sold my Nova 16 24 44 with a bed extension with one of the original upgrade DVR for $1000. He is way out of line for price.

The seller said this morning that he won't sell it for less than $700 period. Some times people really don't want to sell their stuff. I'm glad though, that means I can continue to save and look for something like a Jet 1642.

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    ...I'm glad though, that means I can continue to save and look for something like a Jet 1642.
    If the Jet 1642 is on your list, then you should also check out the Jet 1640EVS which is an updated version of the 1642. It has several improvements including a rotating headstock and a wedge lock rather than a grub screw for locking the tool rest into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Arnold View Post
    If the Jet 1642 is on your list, then you should also check out the Jet 1640EVS which is an updated version of the 1642. It has several improvements including a rotating headstock and a wedge lock rather than a grub screw for locking the tool rest into place.

There is a 1640EVS at our local woodworking store. Its a nice lathe but its way to tall. The spindle center is a minimum of 44.5" off the ground. Even the really tall employee there finds it too tall and too uncomfortable. This is without the leg risers installed. Its even taller with the leg risers. The floor to spindle center height of the Jet 1840 is 39.5", Laguna Revo is 41.5". Three or four inches doesn't sound like a lot but it really is when you're standing at the lathe. The only way I could comfortably use the 1640 is to build a platform to stand on and with my luck I'll forget and fall off. Otherwise its a nice lathe. And now I see that the Jet 1642 is also 44.5". While I was pretending turning at the store with that spindle center dimension I just felt really uncomfortable. I know the 1642 is a very popular lathe, does one get use to a higher spindle center? Am I just too used to a lower spindle center of about 40"? Maybe I would adapt. I'm 5'7, average height.
    Last edited by Damon McLaughlin; 02-25-2017 at 5:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    There is a 1640EVS at our local woodworking store. Its a nice lathe but its way to tall. The spindle center is a minimum of 44.5" off the ground. Even the really tall employee there finds it too tall and too uncomfortable. This is without the leg risers installed. Its even taller with the leg risers. The floor to spindle center height of the Jet 1840 is 39.5", Laguna Revo is 41.5". Three or four inches doesn't sound like a lot but it really is when you're standing at the lathe. The only way I could comfortably use the 1640 is to build a platform to stand on and with my luck I'll forget and fall off. Otherwise its a nice lathe. And now I see that the Jet 1642 is also 44.5". While I was pretending turning at the store with that spindle center dimension I just felt really uncomfortable. I know the 1642 is a very popular lathe, does one get use to a higher spindle center? Am I just too used to a lower spindle center of about 40"? Maybe I would adapt. I'm 5'7, average height.
    I completely understand how important the height of the lathe is when you're turning. I decided against the Revo 1836 for the same reason. It didn't feel right to me without the optional risers and I couldn't see spending an addtional $300 when all I had to do was find a taller lathe.

Best of luck with your search.