Thread: Cristie's Bowl

Smile Cristie's Bowl

This bowl was turned as a birthday gift for our middle son Kyle’s girlfriend, Cristie. Cristie has become very close to the family and really enjoys checking out what I have been turning. Recently I have been turning salad bowl sets for our married kids and have been teasing her that she has to get married to get on the list. So, Colleen and I thought a bowl turned just for her would make for a nice surprise birthday gift.

This sugar maple bowl is 9” diameter x 2 ¼” high by about 3/16” thick or slightly less. Colleen decided the bowl should be ‘spring-like’ green in color and extremely glossy as Cristie has commented on how much she liked the way that looks and feels. The bowl turned out really nice, is lightweight but still feels balanced in the hand. Interestingly – it developed a slight warp during the finishing process. Not a major concern and actually gives it a nice look.

Cristies Bowl 1.jpg Cristies Bowl 2.jpg Cristies Bowl 3.jpg

As always, comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed.

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Looks great Steve. I kinda like a little "warpage" in some of my bowls it gives them character and that handmade look.
    I'm sure Cristie is going to love her new bowl.

Beautiful bowl, Steve. I have yet to make a bowl round - they normally loose roundness during sanding.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Nice looking bowl Steve. Marriage is an awful big price!!! I'm sure she will love it.

Nice!

Did you buff this to get such a high level of gloss?
    RD

Nice work Steve!
    USMC '97-'01

As always, very nice work - form, finish and color! But.....when you gonna get back into those big ol' holler forms?!?!?!😁😁😁

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Nice!

Did you buff this to get such a high level of gloss?
    Richard, this has around 15 super thin coats of gloss poly and was buffed. The bowl was sanded to 320 grit, dyed green and then I used a make-up sponge to apply the poly. The really thin coats dry quickly and allows for multiple coats a day. Biggest benefit to using the sponges - they do not add debris or brush marks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    As always, very nice work - form, finish and color! But.....when you gonna get back into those big ol' holler forms?!?!?!
    John, had a big sugar maple snap off during the last wind storm a week ago. Trunk, about 10', is still standing but not sure if the wood is any good or not. If it is, should make for some nice sized forms. At the moment, the only rough-outs I have are for bowls but at least I am turning again.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!