Thread: Beads of Courage box for Jack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    If you order the package of ceramic logo beads, they are about 1/4" thick. That may be too thick to inlay into a bowl or box depending on design. One of our members used a Dremel tool with cut off wheel and was able to cut them in half without cracking. He tried cutting them dry and it wasn't working very well so he used a few drops of water for lubrication which made all the difference.
    Thank you!
    Fred

BOC beads

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    If you order the package of ceramic logo beads, they are about 1/4" thick. That may be too thick to inlay into a bowl or box depending on design. One of our members used a Dremel tool with cut off wheel and was able to cut them in half without cracking. He tried cutting them dry and it wasn't working very well so he used a few drops of water for lubrication which made all the difference.
    The bead in my hand is a little thicker than 1/4", closer to 5/16". I use a 20mm Forstner bit to drill a hole for the standard bead.

You can always epoxy it in and leave it proud of the surface. The edges are smooth and nicely rounded.

One thing I've done for a turned box is put it under the lid, leaving a little extra wood inside the lid for the bead. I hold the knob in place with a wood screw and hide the head under the bead. (I epoxy the screw into the handle and glue the handle to the lid so it can't be loosened.

BOC_bead_IMG_5390.jpg BOC_bead_IMG_6686.jpg

Another thing I have done is put the bead in the knob/handle which can easily be made thicker. I've seen them glued in a recess at the very top of the knob. For this box I turned a knob, flattened the sides, drilled and put a bead in the handle:

BOC_bead_IMG_5426.jpg

The bead does have a hole through it sideways. I plan to put one on a metal shaft in a thru hole in the knob so the child can spin it with a finger. For a flat wood box it might be fun to make a lid handle with two spin-able beads, maybe one on either side of the grip.

JKJ

I saw your BOC box for JACK on this website:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source =hp&biw=1280&bih=634&ei=0zZZWs7MIIGMgge 1maGoBQ&q=beads+of+courage+boxes&oq=beads +of+courage+boxes&gs_l=img.3..0.2660.11890.0.1 2377.27.16.1.10.10.0.66.783.14.14.0....0...1ac.1.6 4.i mg..2.25.832.0..0i30k1j0i24k1.0.XKyqeEN5XLo

(Edit: attempt at fixing the link. JKJ)
    https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is....0.XKyqeEN5XLo

It shows the many, many types of boxes being made for this noble cause.

I have been making the boxes with staves about 6 inches in diameter and 5 inches tall. With the furniture manufacturing near by there is plenty of scrap wood to make these. Thinking about trying some segmented boxes.

By the way, the platter demo for our club was great.

Jay
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 08-11-2018 at 6:02 AM.

Thanks, Jay!

I see three of my boxes in that Google search list. It's nice to see all those ideas in one spot (and to see they link back to the threads here in case someone want's to know more or who made them.) I have another demo coming up next month on that way of making them.

BTW, I couldn't get the link to work until I deleted a space character. Here is the corrected link - I'll see if I can fix it in your message.
    https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is....0.XKyqeEN5XLo

Thanks for the feedback from the demo at the Greensboro club. I had a great time and the audience was wonderful! You sure do have a lot of active and attentive woodturners. Something about living in an area chock full of hardwoods and with a long history of woodworking? Or maybe it's something in the water.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mullins View Post
    I saw your BOC box for JACK on this website:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source =hp&biw=1280&bih=634&ei=0zZZWs7MIIGMgge 1maGoBQ&q=beads+of+courage+boxes&oq=beads +of+courage+boxes&gs_l=img.3..0.2660.11890.0.1 2377.27.16.1.10.10.0.66.783.14.14.0....0...1ac.1.6 4.i mg..2.25.832.0..0i30k1j0i24k1.0.XKyqeEN5XLo

It shows the many, many types of boxes being made for this noble cause.

I have been making the boxes with staves about 6 inches in diameter and 5 inches tall. With the furniture manufacturing near by there is plenty of scrap wood to make these. Thinking about trying some segmented boxes.

By the way, the platter demo for our club was great.

Jay

John, sir, you are a class act. As are all of the ww’s participating in this program. I have always been impressed with your efforts on behalf of our next generation of leaders.

Best, patrick

Why thank you for the encouragement! I may print this out and read it when I'm feeling particularly worthless and lazy. (I did have a lot more energy back when I was 67!)

I'm impressed by the creativity and huge variety of the BOC boxes I've seen. Some made from plywood, some staved or segmented. One in particular from the Crossville club was an incredible corroboration between a turner who didn't draw well and an artist who couldn't turn. The two clubs I attend also turn Christmas ornaments and sell and auction them to help kids. I believe the ornaments in Knoxville alone brought around $4000 in each of the last two years, 100% of this going to the Children's Hospital. I can't begin to imagine how much the combined efforts of all the clubs and individuals in the country and world have helped.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    John, sir, you are a class act. As are all of the ww’s participating in this program. I have always been impressed with your efforts on behalf of our next generation of leaders.
    Best, patrick