Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need inexpensive hot melt edgebander or?

Need inexpensive hot melt edgebander or?

Need inexpensive hot melt edgebander or is there a way to apply egebanding without a machine.
    I have a few cabinet jobs. I'll be using sheets of Uniboard melamine with patern matching edgebanding that requires an edgebanding machine to apply it.
    I dont want to spend money on a quality machine(thinking Felder) at this point in time. I prefer to apply the banding with adhesive and press it with clamps. I tried it with wood glue but the glue wont stick to the pvc edgbanding.
    1) Does anyone have a successfull method of applying edgebanding without a machine?
    2) Has anyone had good success with an inexpensive(aprox $400) machine? There are many choices on ebay and aliexpress.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-18-2017 at 2:30 PM. Reason: fixed wonky text, please use the Standard editor

So you're trying to apply PVC banding which does not come with hot-melt already on it?

At lot of PVC banding has hot-melt on the back side. You can apply it to the wood with an iron, or a hot-air bander. But if the banding doesn't come with the hot-melt layer already on it, you're going to have to apply it as part of the banding process. There are devices generally called portable glue-pot edgebanders which will do this. Virutex makes one -- http://virutex.com/gluepotedgebander...mpcontrol.aspx Festool makes one -- https://www.festoolusa.com/products/...a-65-plus-usa- There are others if you look around.

I just use a cheap household iron with iron-on edge banding. I probably turn the iron on about half way and keep it moving. It should hold much tighter than any type of stick-on banding.
    Steve

I have also successfully used a household iron - although not one my wife would use for clothes. I had to play with the temperature some but it worked fine. Just hot enough to melt the glue seemed best. Too hot and the edges curled.

I tried the peel and stick from fastcap . has anyone else used it . Failed on one project .Did a laundry room .I had noticed the glue from the peel and stick got onto my prefinished ply .I was careful when removing it being concerned the solvents removing the glue would damage the finish .I was to careful .A year or so later back on the jobsight i see a dark edge where dust was adhered to the remaining glue line .on this project i used a trimmer tool from rockler .i have done small projects and used a sharp wood chisel with much better results . like others i generally use iron on edgeband . still the peel and stick is nice to have on hand ,can be fast and simple .

Consider FastCap's Speedtape.

Here's a video of the process

If it is a commercial project I would review the specs and see if they state if you must use a commercial edge banding machine. If so see if there is a local shop that you could pay to edge band parts. If we have a single part to repair we use Hybond spray glue that we get from our laminate supplier then route off the excess PVC. There's a lot of clean up but it holds. Festool makes a hand held edge banding machine that uses hot glue but you still have to trim after. And of course the festool is out of your budget that you stated. Hybond CF23 comes in small spray cans as well as 35lb. Containers. Works great on PVC. Cleans up with laquer thinner.

Thanks. I will try Fastcap Speed Tape on a small project to test it out. edit-now I see hotmelt tape online - have to research this more. The Felder machine is about CA$2800, I can purchase one when I have enough jobs. It looks like the Festool uses their own banding, with two color choices available, so its a noncontender.

Edgebanding is simple, but if you look over on YouTube, there are plenty of videos of people who made simple, cheap, effective jigs and machines to make it even simpler. Might want to take a look there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Wesseling View Post
    Thanks. I will try Fastcap Speed Tape on a small project to test it out. edit-now I see hotmelt tape online - have to research this more. The Felder machine is about CA$2800, I can purchase one when I have enough jobs. It looks like the Festool uses their own banding, with two color choices available, so its a noncontender.
    No, the Festool accommodates any edgebanding. They have multiple colors of hotmelt.

Look up Virutex AG98 or Virutex AG52. I'm not sure what the difference between the two, but I have the 98. It's a nice productive starter edgebander using pre-glued (hot melt glue) tape, either wood or PVC up to 2 inches wide. This may be one of your possibilities.

Fastcap tape is least expensive and will work fine, I have used it plenty out in the field. If you have lots of pieces it will be very time consuming and innefficient. But it works fine nonetheless.

I have used the Fastcap tape a fair bit. I had commercial pieces with rounded corners and the edgebander could not handle them. It holds reasonably well, but even after trimming off the excess, I found it always left a faint glue line that stays sticky forever. So yes, it will attract dirt over years. I would clean it off as best as I could with a rag and lacquer thinner, but you have to be careful not to let the thinner soak behind the tape and loosen the glue. Fastcap makes a trimmer that works reasonably well. Trims both sides at the same time.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Im not using pre-glued edgebanding! The Festool machine is a contender - Thanks!

Virutex PEB250 Vs Felder 200 ECO Plus - Any experience and opinions