Thread: Deep engraving on glass like ceramic with a trotec speedy 300

Deep engraving on glass like ceramic with a trotec speedy 300

Hello folks, I've inherited the job operating a trotec speedy 300 from the outgoing etcher and without complete training I'm really struggling to find a setting to engrave these kiln fired ceramic paw prints we do. Once kiln fired they have a consistency closer to opaque glass. I'm currently running them for 4 passes at 95 power, 5 speed and 1000hz which is alright, but some need several passes because spots end up not engraving deep enough to paint. I've tried decreasing the speed but I found I ended up burning the glaze, and different frequencies didn't have much effect. Does anyone have any suggestions, or am I just out of luck? Thanks in advance, this forum has already been lots of help.

Blog Entries
    Nope, I ran some ceramic tile at 85 percent of my 80 watt machine and it took 10passes to make maybe a half millimeter depth. I wanted to get thru the coating, but failed
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Wonder how it would engrave green before firing? Don't know if it would work, but there's no reason you can't fire laser etched greenware...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Wonder how it would engrave green before firing? Don't know if it would work, but there's no reason you can't fire laser etched greenware...
    That was my hope, it seems like a large part of the issue is the glaze is refracting the laser because different coloured glazes etch differently, but the glaze ends up filling in the engraved area.

The laser engraving machine won't complete the job. Why not mask, run one pass, then sandblast? A sandblast cabinet is a very inexpensive investment and helps yields a superior finished product..
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

+1 for Dave's solution.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7