Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: London, UK trip

Actually it was hard to find "British" food last time I was there - even at the local pubs. I will admit I do like some of it - though I did have to take a second when half way through a very good meal I realized Steak and Kidney pie didn't have any kidney beans in it!

Wes

I was just talking to a co-worker yesterday about the food. Sorry Ian, but you guys have TERRIBLE food. Once I learned to eat at the restaraunts recommended in the tour book my mom got me before I went, things got much better, but just stopping some place that sounded good was a bad idea. One day I ate at a TGI Fridays and another time I ate at a McDonalds just to try to get something that tasted like food I was familiar with. Couldn't believe that McDonalds could be worse than at home. I did have some excellent Indian and Italian. Stay away from the beef though--they really overcook it to where there's no taste.

Go to the British Museum, Saint Pauls Cathedral, The New Tate Museum...Scott's Seafood for Dover Sole.. Don't miss Harods Department Store...try to see a concert at Royal Albert Hall...Indian food is good....In Mayfare we stayed at the Chesterfield Hotel...Great breakfasts were included and the Hotel is reasonable considering its location...London is one of the worlds great cities...I love it! North of Gatwick Airport you are in the country...great pubs and inns....I raised a pint or two...and drank to? Well it was worthwhile trust me Picture is The Chesterfield....
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-10-2006 at 10:02 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Wow, SMC is great.

Where else could I get such help and advice on this subject?

Anyway, thanks to all who replied!

Ian, I sent you a PM and viewed the links in your post, Hampton Court looks like something right up my alley.

For years I've wanted to go to England and see the great oaks and walk on HMS Victory and stand on the very spot Nelson stood. Call me crazy, but it don't get much better than that in my book. Oh, I almost forgot, I hope to see some paintings by Turner.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer
    "British" food? There's a reason there's so much Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai food available there!
    Scott, when I first visited London in 1998, that was absolutely true. However, on my last two visits I didn't have a bad meal in the bunch, no matter where I ate. In fact, I had a couple of meals that were nearly unequaled anywhere I have been. The effect of the EU and globalization in general has brought a lot of good eating to London...and a Starbucks on every other corner. (I swear there are more Starbucks than pubs at this point!) But said eating is quite expensive. London is the second most expensive city to visit in the world. Moscow is now first...and I'll attest to that from recent personal experience!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

When I was in college in Philadelphia, THAT was the most expensive city in the world! Had to sell some Beatles records to get a hoagie.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    My suggestion is to avoid the British food and enjoy all the Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai food that London has to offer.
    Peter, I haven't read past Michael's post before responding, but one thing I know, Michael's response is the most important info you will ever get concerning the UK.

OK, what was your question?
    Every deed plants a seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    and a Starbucks on every other corner. (I swear there are more Starbucks than pubs at this point!) But said eating is quite expensive. London is the second most expensive city to visit in the world. Moscow is now first...and I'll attest to that from recent personal experience!
    Do the still have Pret-a-Manger (I think that's the name) They were everywhere when I was there. Latte's were 99 pence. Can you tell I went there a lot to still remember that?

I was pretty freaked out at the cost of food. I had just gotten off a project in Lima, OH when I went there. On the Lima project we had a $25/day per diem for food. In London, it was common for just dinner to be $50. I thought for sure I was going to be in big trouble with management when I got back.

Peter, if you're going to Southampton to see HMS Victory then you may get the opportunity to stop along the way for a pub meal. If that is the case you can get an excellent lunch and a pint. Try the plowman's which is a large slab of Stilton, some greens, bread, and chutney, or a Shepard's pie, or almost anything else on the menu. Someone else mentioned Bath and if you get the chance you really should give it a go. And if you get to Dover you really should see the castle, light house and Roman painted house that had central heat, and H&C running water in something like 350 a.d. It really made me appreciate just how dark the dark ages were. I think you will find more little shops with interesting ww antiques once you are out of London.

Two other things, plan on spending pounds for dollars. If a burger costs $4, then it will cost 4 lb. and for Gods sake, don't eat any marmite.
    Last edited by Cecil Arnold; 01-11-2006 at 12:53 AM.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich
    Jim,

When I was in college in Philadelphia, THAT was the most expensive city in the world! Had to sell some Beatles records to get a hoagie.

Pete
    Well Pete, then you'll have to eat at the original Hard Rock Cafe (London). Original "Love Me Do" jackets worn by the fab four..... hanging on the wall next to your table.

Hotel Intercontinental (*****) is right up the street from HRC, nice Arch view if you ask.

Any hotel near the Wellington Arch is out of the city center by just the right distance. You can walk to Buckinham Palace and Buckingham Fountain.

Changing of the Guard: best to book a "walking tour" with one of the tour companies. i.e. "Big Red Bus Co." They take you to the barraks to see the New Guard take formation. Then you can walk along for several blocks as they march toward the palace. Don't get caught looking like a tourist peering through the palace gates for only a glimpse.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Do the still have Pret-a-Manger (I think that's the name) They were everywhere when I was there. Latte's were 99 pence. Can you tell I went there a lot to still remember that?

I was pretty freaked out at the cost of food. I had just gotten off a project in Lima, OH when I went there. On the Lima project we had a $25/day per diem for food. In London, it was common for just dinner to be $50. I thought for sure I was going to be in big trouble with management when I got back.
    Pret-A-Manger is still there.

For general figuring, figure 2:1 for dollar to pound. It's not quite that bad, but almost. It is EXPENSIVE there.
    Every deed plants a seed.

Being a Derbyshire lad,in the Midlands,I should remind you that London is not England.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

What Jim says about the food is about right. Some of you other guys may have been caught out because we have special menus for people in loud shirts and plaid trousers!

We probably have some "austerity" based habits that you guys never had to develop. Steak & Kidney pie does have Kidney in it, not Kidney beans. Not one of my favourites but you have not lived until you have eaten a well cooked dish of liver and bacon in onion gravy. Before everybody gets too down on British food bear in mind that you people eat your porridge in the morning with lumps of gravel in it. And it is of course it is an established fact that Admiral Lord Nelson only got to be that brilliant by eating Marmite three times a day.

If you do go to Southampton to see Victory then you need to take some binoculars because she is docked in Portsmouth. Portsmouth would be a full day out from London and I suggest that if you are of a Maritime bent then Greenwich would be interesting and more managable. It is where the whole world (except France) measures time from and has a long naval history. Go to see Harrisons No1 - the worlds first chronometer accurate enough to measure Longitute, made famous in the book of the same name. Cutty Sark is probably closer to where you will be than Victory is. I have never been myself but some people rave about it.

If you want to see great oaks then you need to get to Windsor Great Park. Old Oaks are not that common because in the 1700's we needed most of them to build warships to deal with Frenchmen and stroppy colonials but the park has some fascinating examples and is a great setting. You also get the chance to roll up into the town of Windsor and see the castle.

Cutty Sark

Greenwich Maritime Museum

Windsor Great Park

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jarnell
    Being a Derbyshire lad,in the Midlands,I should remind you that London is not England.
    Brian - You are completely correct. If Peter had said he was here for a fortnight I would have given a wider range of recommendations. In a week or so I suspect that London and surroundings will keep him pretty well occupied

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    Brian - You are completely correct. If Peter had said he was here for a fortnight I would have given a wider range of recommendations. In a week or so I suspect that London and surroundings will keep him pretty well occupied
    Ian-I only commented because I have friends here in NZ who go to England,wander around London and then say,I didn't think much of England.
    Same if you go to USA call in at LA and say the same.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.