Thread: Little Helper

Little Helper

Here is my little helper breaking in his new tools he got from xmas. First he is checking out the hand saw and then making sure them nails get hammered in real tight.

Not sure where he put his safety glasses when I took the picks. I guess I didn't notice they were not on. I guess I am gonna have to have another safety meeting with him on that one. OSHA will be all over my rear .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scott, what a great sight! It is really cool that you and your son can share such a great hobby together. I know that some of the best conversations I have with my boys are "down in the shop" while we are working on a project together. They grow up so quick that we need to cherish moments like this!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Scott,

Those 2 pictures say it all....... PRICELESS!

Best help of all

Jim
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Wonderful!

It keeps getting better. I spent a lot if time during Christmas in the shop with my 25 year old daughter and it was the best part of the holidays. You're at the beginning of a wonderful journey. Great pics.

Hank

Scott, great pics...cherish the moments.
    Looks like he needs a tool box for those tools...Would be a good project.

that is a great picture .... made me smile and think about my son when he was younger
    lou

Same here. Put a smile on my face thinking of the bed my son and I made 20 yrs. ago. Great picture Scott. Cherish your time with him because they grow up fast.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by john whittaker
    Scott, great pics...cherish the moments.
    Looks like he needs a tool box for those tools...Would be a good project.

It came as a set. I'll tell you they ain't what they used to be. The plane was just pathetic. I have it on the list of things to do is build a tool box for his stuff. He still is not in to it too much, but any time he wants to join in is fine with me... as long as I am not int he middle of some serious stuff. Then I ask him to wait a tad until i can get to a breaking point.

We also need to build a scrap box for him to keep scraps to built with. His first project was actually a year or so ago and we built a step stool (from a kit). I look forward to the days of cub scouts and building pinewood derby cars and such.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Great pics Scott...he looks to be about 7...? Is the SF jointer his too? I gave my son a shop made tool box kit for Christmas when he was 6 (well, Santa did anyway). It was modeled after the old time carpenter's boxes...great first project for him. He stenciled his name on it and still has it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

He is actually 6, just turned in November. He is tall for his age, in the 90+ percentile. No, unfortunately for him he doesn't get any of the other tools till I hand them over or croke, both of which we are both hoping is a long time. It's actually a Jet jointer that will see it's way to the classified's soon. I plan on squeezing in the G0490 jointer.

I still have the orignal wooden box and metal plane from my first set, though nothing else. I sure wish I still had the other stuff as he would have gotten them. BTW, the older stuff was much, much, much better quality. Some day I will actually invest in some better quality hand tools for him to use and call his own (or pull from my private stock), but wanted something that if it got really tore up I wouldn't mind. Call it a learning tool.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Great Pics.

I have four. When they come into the shop, they all start gluing and nailing things on the basement floor. Dad ends up having to clean up quite a mess.

You should think about building him his own little workbench. I made one for my kids which worked... for a while.

Jack

Would love to do that, but unfortunately at 324sqft and loaded, no room for a little bench. Since he is tall, he can use mine though not the ideal height. I don't mind the mess he makes. Though we will be having a lesson soon on putting tools away and cleaning up your mess before you leave... now if daddy can only do the same.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Yeah DAD, "Do as you say, not as you do" I think I got that right??

Jim
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day