Thread: Bigger Trees

Blog Entries

Bigger Trees

Domonic Greco's post of the large tree he found and recalled a couple of trees we saw on our trip to the Pacific Northwest (Washington). The Sitka Spruce tree with my wife in front of it was on the shores of Lake Quinault. It is estimated to be about 1200 years old if I recall the signage correctly.

The second tree with yours truly in front of it is a western Red Cedar located in the the Grove of the Patriarchs near Mount Ranier. This tree is thought to be about 1500 years old.

Talk about your old growth lumber. I can see why we need to protect trees like this. They are really something to see and believe me pictures do not do them justice. Looking 200+ feet toward the tops and seeing dozens of these giants all standing tall is really a site to see. I can't wait to see the Redwoods and Sequoias someday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Wow... That's impressive. I really like seeing trees like that.

I know a sawyer whom is bringing up old growth stuff sunk in the great lakes. Last time I talked with him, he had maple (i think that was it) something like 6' across. In 12" he counted something like 200 growth rings. Going rate was about $50 BF in log form. I thought not to bad, except you are stuck buying an entire log for around $50K. If I could find about 500 people who would want a BF, it might happen and I could make a tiny expensive box ;-)

He said most of the wood was going into high end custom dining room furniture.

3. Big Trees & Old Trees

I'm with you Lee. Hiking among the old & the giant reminds me of what an incredible thing wood is and how we need to protect what we have (and use it wisely). This summer my wife and I hiked among the foxtail pines in the sequioa/kings canyon area. They only live above 10,000 feet and they live to be over 1000 years old. They only die of old age, as there is no disease or insect that kills them. I need to find a picture and post. Although they are not big, they are amazing looking--after all the storms and fires they survive.

While we're on the subject, heres a picture of my wife and I in Sequoia (or maybe Kings Canyon) a while back.
    http://www.sba.muohio.edu/gattiktf/backpack/sequoia/

Well you guys sure got me going on this. I live about 40 minutes from Sequoia National Forest and go there several times a year.

Yes, to stand in the midst of a grove of these (sequoias) monsters is very humbling.

THen I read about Tom about the Foxtail Pines, and I'm really getting going. Those ar some amazing and way cool trees.

Then he includes pictures from a trip he and his SWMBO took and I lost it. I used to hike the high sierras and there is NO comparison to anywhere else on earth. Words can not/do not suffice. Simply stunning.

Now, to dig up some of my Sequoias shots and post them.

oooohhhhh, those shots of the high sierras really bring back my love of the high country.

Thanks for sharing all.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

5. Doug..

...you live 40 min from Sequoia. Man, I travel a good 12 hours to get there--between flying and then driving up from LA. If I lived there, I'd probably be in the Mtns all the time. You should go...now... no don't even take time to turn off the computer....go ! Have fun.