Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Widow Burl - sold!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    How many hours do you have in it?
    There is a bit of a story with that question, Richard. I had to move it from the lathe you see in the pic above over to my G0766 because I did not have a baseplate for my G0800 to use with my Monster Articulated Hollowing system....the gap in the 0800 is an inch wider than the 0766.

The bit holder tips on my rig would only let me hollow so far inside the form, as it was over 14” wide, so I had to stop the process, and ordered John Jordan’s large hollowing set, where he turned down the tang on the end to fit my Monster system. That was right at the national AAW symposium time, and he was a vendor and had to make that trip, so it took about 6 weeks to get his tools in to finish the hollowing process.

My guess would be probably 25 hours over several weeks, that is not including the sanding/finishing. The holes in the wood, bark inclusions and other characteristics of this piece demanded stopping, using glues, shellac, and other things to keep it intact. Even some wrapping with strapping tape along the way. It beat me up pretty good till I got in the Jordan tools, even with the Monster rig.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

2. Over on WTU, Micheal Gibson selected this as Turning of the Week [TOTW]. Thanks Micheal for the honor.

http://woodturnersunlimited.com/inde...302&Itemid=147
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!