Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
Thomas,

It may very well satisfy you, but it's also difficult to know. Much would depend on what you end up turning. (as well as little things like budget, shop space, etc.!)

I turn a wide variety of things, many small. The last few days I've turned a tiny bowl, goblet, and tumbler, on the order of 1/2" or less tall. I have five lathes, plenty to choose from.

While these could be don't on the smallest lathe here, I almost always use the largest, a Powermatic 3520b, unless another project or a visitor is tying up that one. The PM will turn a 20" bowl or platter and the bed (with extension) is over 50" long, massively heavy, powerful motor - sounds like overkill, right?! However, some of the features make it a joy to turn even the tiniest thing - the components, e.g. 1-1/4" spindle, the banjo, tool rests with 1" post, and tailstock, are strong and heavy with no possible flexing. Adjustments, such as advancing the quill, are smooth and high precision. The long bed is great when working on even tiny things - I can move the tailstock way back when not using it; I make trays that slide along the bed to keep tools and other things handy. After using them I hate to be without features like, control features like variable speed drive with reverse, digital speed indicator, and remote emergency cutoff switch. The precision is excellent.

I also have a Jet 1642 lathe set up in the same shop. Although it doesn't have quite the capacity or mass it is still an excellent machine for almost anything I want to do. On the other hand, my smaller lathes do not have reverse or variable speed and are quite light in weight which requires compromise on stiffness. The precision is not as good but I can still use them effectively for smaller things. (I mostly keep them for the portability.) The larger lathes are far more enjoyable to use. And when I do want to turn something larger it's all ready.

A lot of very good woodturners went through the same process: buy a low-end lathe, acquire some skill, become addicted to turning, buy a better lathe. Of all the turners I know personally, none has ever said they had too much lathe! Unfortunately it takes time and experience to even understand the differences in the tools.

Another great way to proceed is to take some beginners group classes, then take some one-on-one lessons in the instructor's shop. This could get you up to speed quickly. If you happen to get up to east TN give me a shout and I can show and let you try some different options for lathes and tools.

BTW, I've been spinning wood maybe 16-17 years, can't remember. This is my primary machine and where I play, along with a wider view of my woodturning alcove.
lathe_PM_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg WV_boys_IMG_20170319_154641_356.jpg

Hey, I also like playing with metals and have some small lathes and mills plus welders, plasma torch, etc. I haven't made a steam engine but would like to! I also have turned aluminum, brass, steel, and acrylic on the wood lathe with standard woodturning tools.

There is a metalworking section here on SMC - how about posting a few photos of your steam engines?

JKJ
Hello again JKJ,
I surely appreciate your help and understand the process of really getting into a hobby. My shop is small ( 10-foot by 30-foot ) and that dictates to a large degree the size lathe and related machines that I can add. My primary hobby is metal working and those machines occupy the largest portion of the shop space. I am just wanting to integrate some wood turning in with my metal working.

Thank you again for all the help and have a great day,
ThomasT