Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Decisions, decisions... A 12" or 16" jointer?

Has anyone else noticed we lost the O.P. again...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, but you have a bunch of "giant tools" available.
    ..that I wouldn't mind having either Jim! ;-)

Hopefully he'll come back, I sent him a PM with an offer for a 16" jointer! Craig: if you see this check your messages.

I’m in the Seattle area. I’m not too far from an amazing exotic hardwood dealer (Edensaw Woods)... so I have no problem getting very wide boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I must be in the minority, I will SLR skip planed material, glue up the panel, flatten one side then plane to thickness.

Way less time involved in that, plus I can be pretty lazy worrying about how flat I can keep the glue up.
    This is what I do for panels also, except I have to edge joint as I do not have a SLR yet. I have a 16 inch Porter 300 and wish it was wider.

I buckled and bought a Grizzly G0609X. I couldn’t resist after they miraculously came back in stock in Washington. I’ll keep my eye out for a reasonably priced 16” and jump on it when I get the chance.

I must say this machine is quite nice. Very little adjustments and I’m getting dead flat boards. Far quieter than my PM 54A.

I appreciate all of the excellent feedback in this thread!

Before the tariffs, that machine was an absolute steal. I remember it being around $2300-2400, and that always amazed me for a 12" jointer with spiral head. However, i was always under the impression the price was too good to be true. I think Darrell Peart would like to dump his in a deep body o water. Sounds like it is working for you, which is all that matters.

My G0609 works perfectly, can't imagine using it for a boat anchor. Only trouble I have had is a set screw came loose on the motor pulley, and it has gotten slightly out of adjustment once, and I have had mine for several years, and ran miles of wood over it.